• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arial

rydods

Member for quite some time.
When I first started in the sign business I was told, don't worry about using any other fonts. Arial is the only one you'll need.
This may be wrong but it's kind of funny...

Attachments

• 40230.jpeg
    40230.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 651

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Arial sucks in any color. It's an equal opportunity offender.

I've seen the meme before though. It's still pretty funny.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Arial isn't really a true Helvetica knock-off, although it does deliberately copy the metrics of Linotype's first Helvetica digital font files. More on that here:

Rather than be a Helvetica look-alike such as Swiss 721, Nimbus Sans or CG Triumvirate, Arial is more of a Frankenstein's monster hodge-podge of styles. There is some Helvetica in there along with bits of Akzidenz Grotesque, Bell Gothic and other sans typefaces.

It's pretty easy to spot the visual differences between Arial and Helvetica. I think Arial has a pretty harsh look to it due to all the odd angled cuts and sort of crooked flow of its letter strokes. The 1957 cut of Helvetica has some of its own ugly-ish problems, which were cleaned up in the larger and more useful 1980's Helvetica Neue super family. Further improvements were made with Helvetica Now, first in 2019 with a series of static display, text and micro styles, then in 2021 with a variable version. I think Monotype may release a second variable version. The current one has a variable width slider that goes from standard width to compressed. They need to make another version going from standard width to extended or wide.

Last edited:

Scotchbrite

No comment
Our other designer here really disappointed me the other day. She's loves to use "default" font (I've threatened to remove it from her computer). She did a well site sign that just needed the name on it, no logo or anything. The name was "Myriad Resources". I was so bummed she used "default" font and not Myriad! I mean if ever an opportunity presented itself for the use of Myriad!

vondegroot

The lazy CorelDraw user creates new document, BAM. Arial based art. Meanwhile...
the lazy Illustrator user creates new doc... BAM! Myriad based art.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
It's a rare occasion I'll encounter a client that requires Arial to be used in the layout. The only time I've had such a requirement result in a decent looking sign: a sign for Altus Air Force base at the Falcon Road gate. The logo specified polished chrome letters set in Arial Black along with a polished chrome Air Force Icon.

All too often when I see default Arial used in sign layouts the lettering is squeezed or stretched to barely fit into the space.

Myriad doesn't offend me nearly as much as Arial. But it is a stubborn default choice for people sleep-walking a design project through Adobe applications.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's a rare occasion I'll encounter a client that requires Arial to be used in the layout. The only time I've had such a requirement result in a decent looking sign: a sign for Altus Air Force base at the Falcon Road gate. The logo specified polished chrome letters set in Arial Black along with a polished chrome Air Force Icon.

All too often when I see default Arial used in sign layouts the lettering is squeezed or stretched to barely fit into the space.

Myriad doesn't offend me nearly as much as Arial. But it is a stubborn default choice for people sleep-walking a design project through Adobe applications.
for staceyk
Nice Logo.jpg

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Swiss took the place of Arial and Helvetica for me. Works well for warning and caution labels.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
When we got our first plotter (80's) we cut a ton of Cooper Black, Old English, Commercial Script & Hobo - all the cool fonts. Good times.

Last edited: