• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arlon DPF8000 Bands like crazy

splizaat

On our sp300v, we're having MAD banding issues with EVERY profile we try. We've tried the sp540v, slowed head speed down, changed temps etc. EVERYTHING results in banding and splotchy colors. Is this just a crappy vinyl? Not to mention it shrinks so bad on the liner before it even gets printed that it leaves gummy super sticker residue all throughout the printer.

We chose this stuff originally because it's great for low-energy surfaces - VERY tacky, and it's reasonable ($233 for a 30" Roll). Does anyone have any suggestions for this application? We have lots of requests for super high-tack vinyl for pelican cases, army helmets, etc and we used dpf8000 when we subbed our printing out to an XC540, but our sp300v HATES this stuff.

Now accepting alternative substrates.

splizaat

How is the 235 any different from convex? and how does the price compare?

I never considered using the moto-vinyl for our high-tac stuff.

splizaat

What profile/settings(heat, head speed etc) are you using with the sp300v on dpf8000? I'm still willing to try this stuff out...I've got about 4 more yards to play with until I fully give up.

Custom_Grafx

Made a custom profile for it. Banding is either your machine or settings and usually not the material. Ur nozzle check ok? If yes do a feed calibration. Post a pic of ur banding too. I am not at the computer now but off the top of my head it's an 8 pass profile, standard quality, I think around 600 head speed. Did around 20 meters of solid blue/white labels without a problem. I did have the gummy residue issue but that unavoidable with this material. If ur art bleeds off the edges make sure u give this guy more curing time before lamming too. Read their product bulletin on the Arlon site it has some info on why and good to tell your customer about the tradeoff too. Wetter tackier adhesive = less dimensional stability.

splizaat

nozzles performing fine. Banding is an issue no matter the head speed or the temp although it DOES seem to get a little better if I let the sp540v profile choose the heater temp. I'll post pics in a couple days.

In the heavy ink spots of red/green ink is appearing very blotchy. What would it take to get that profile from you? :)

Custom_Grafx

Have you done a feed calibration? The first impression I got when I started printing on this film was that it printed great because of the satin finish.

Bly

If it's only in heavy ink areas you can still probably get a decent print with a profile that restricts/limits ink more.

splizaat

Hoping this picture helps diagnose the problem. DPF8000 printed on sp300v. This is using the sp540v profile on my sp300v with full width scan turned ON account for smaller width.

You can see the banding and on the red and green ends, the ink appears to kind of "puddle" up and appear blotchy. I also want to point out the BLACK does not appear banded in any way, and is actually nice and solid - i just noticed this. Does this appear to be a feed calibration issue?

(I also tried full width scan + slowing head speed to 500 using sp540v profile with same results)

Thanks!

All other medias print this exact file/image perfectly. So I have get that it's a profiling issue of some sort.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 96

splizaat

Hopefully i can get to the bottom of this Prowraps, cuz I do love this particular material, I just can't get it to print correctly....yet. And arlon tech support hasn't been helpful

splizaat

Switched to Roland's MCVP with full width scan on....andddddddd... BINGO :) Today I did a LOT of testing on these samples I got from Arlon of 6000XRP, 4560GT and 80000 and came up with the best print results as follows:

Arlon 4560GT w/ Roland GCVP Profile

Arlon 6000XRP w/ Roland PCV2 Profile

Arlon DPF8000 w/ Roland MCVP Profile (and full-width scan turned on)

Hope this helps anyone else trying to use Arlon on their SP300V. Their theory of using the SP540V profile and slowing head speed had me running circles. Finally got smart and tried some more roland profiles and came up with good results with the above settings

splizaat

DPF8000 using the sp540v profile with full width scan AND the head speed set at 300mm/sec gave about the same results as the MCVP profile with just full width scan on -- but MCVP prints MUCH faster. If you find any other tricks lemme know!