• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Art for Mattell Toy

J

john1

This is a tough one, Kinda looks as if since the company who wants the artwork is real major there should be a special charge cause they have money. Kinda like charging someone who rolls up in a lexus more than someone in a oldsmobile....

Why not treat it just like any other sale as this is no different other than a major company wanting the artwork vs a normal joe blow?

Very interested to see the outcome as this is a tough one like i said.

J Hill Designs

This is a tough one, Kinda looks as if since the company who wants the artwork is real major there should be a special charge cause they have money. Kinda like charging someone who rolls up in a lexus more than someone in a oldsmobile....

Why not treat it just like any other sale as this is no different other than a major company wanting the artwork vs a normal joe blow?

Very interested to see the outcome as this is a tough one like i said.

supplying the artwork for production of diecast models = $
giving the IP rights to said company = $$$$$

let them decide

ucmj22

Kinda like charging someone who rolls up in a lexus more than someone in a oldsmobile....

I've been worrying about people doing this to me. I finally retired my 99 Saturn and replaced it with an 06 Cadillac CTS. It looks nice, but I only paid 12,4 for it but I'm worried people will think I've just got money to burn...

deegrafix

Believe me I have the same thoughts. Is it fair to expect more just because it's a multi-billion dollar company who uses cheap Chinese labor to post record profits? Does that even compare with a local paint contractor that has 2 trucks and works hard for his living?

Large corporations regularly hire very expensive ad agencies to do artwork only and consider it to be just the cost of doing business and then they still have to hire us. (Nor do they seem to care that the layout which looks nice in a magazine doesn't work well on a sign or truck, but that's another topic.)

If I wasn't a sign company and only did artwork for a living would that be a completely different scenario? UCLA recently paid someone $90,000. to design a logo, stylesheets for its use and a website and said, "It was well worth the money." Locally, Anna the Florist would have paid under $5,000. for the same thing.

Where is the line and why can some people justify making the big bucks doing some of the same thing we do every day? I feel like a highway robber if I make excessive profit on a job.

Hey what happened to the beer stein at the right here? I'm going to go pound a few and think about this some more.....

JoshLoring

I'll ask my buddy. He has a dozen matell toys with his actual logo on them.

I don't think they will pay you anything. They are essentially GIVING you free marketing. I'd say ill give you the art in exchange for my logo on there..

This.. Would be worth way more then you could ever imagine..

skyhigh

Kinda looks as if since the company who wants the artwork is real major there should be a special charge cause they have money. Kinda like charging someone who rolls up in a lexus more than someone in a oldsmobile....

There is a "special" charge to the guy in the Lexus because, unlike the GM owner, he wants to resell your artwork (attached to his product) many MANY times over.

Of course this is outta my league.....just how I see it.

tiredcreations

UCLA recently paid someone $90,000. to design a logo, stylesheets for its use and a website and said, "It was well worth the money." Locally, Anna the Florist would have paid under $5,000. for the same thing.

Are you in the sign business or the designing/trademarking business? IDK, I'm just asking. Seems to me they are completely different. You start trying to rake in big bucks with a design & you could have a whole different set of issues.

I think I (and by that I mean me) would be satisfied with the pride of seeing my work on a bunch of Mattel toys.

Circleville Signs

Are you in the sign business or the designing/trademarking business? IDK, I'm just asking. Seems to me they are completely different. You start trying to rake in big bucks with a design & you could have a whole different set of issues.

I think I (and by that I mean me) would be satisfied with the pride of seeing my work on a bunch of Mattel toys.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. The "business" of design means being paid properly for your work and the rights attached to it. I don't know too many places where I can spend my "pride" on actual goods and services.

JoshLoring

I asked my friend that does all of the obsession trucks- which was featured out the house show and matells hot wheels. He said you will NOT get paid as its just Part of the deal in getting a hot wheel made.
So, you either give up the artwork.. Or ruin it for the guy with the monster truck and look like a jack trying to get overpaid.

ucmj22

I asked my friend that does all of the obsession trucks- which was featured out the house show and matells hot wheels. He said you will NOT get paid as its just Part of the deal in getting a hot wheel made.
So, you either give up the artwork.. Or ruin it for the guy with the monster truck and look like a jack trying to get overpaid.

I would weigh the financial benefit to both matel, and the truck owner before making a move. To me, Matel doesnt stand to make any extra money off this truck as opposed to any other. They could make a monster truck shaped like a turd and sell the same amount of trucks. So you really dont have any leverage with Matel. However, try to determine how much if at all the truck owner might benefit from the exposure. Will he get more gigs/make more money? If so, you might have some leverage with him, but not much. Your best bet might just be to get a line of acknowledgement on the box, or hotwheels website.

But what do I know?

Locals Find!

Well the client needs to pay then. I am sure Mattel is paying him. No one works for Free. Companies may try to get you to work for free but, you gotta get paid. If the client or Mattel doesn't want to pay. Well, that is their issue you gotta look out for your business first. Let them worry about theirs.

Circleville Signs

Well the client needs to pay then. I am sure Mattel is paying him. No one works for Free. Companies may try to get you to work for free but, you gotta get paid. If the client or Mattel doesn't want to pay. Well, that is their issue you gotta look out for your business first. Let them worry about theirs.

This.

ucmj22

I would weigh the financial benefit to both matel, and the truck owner before making a move. To me, Matel doesnt stand to make any extra money off this truck as opposed to any other. They could make a monster truck shaped like a turd and sell the same amount of trucks. So you really dont have any leverage with Matel. However, try to determine how much if at all the truck owner might benefit from the exposure. Will he get more gigs/make more money? If so, you might have some leverage with him, but not much. Your best bet might just be to get a line of acknowledgement on the box, or hotwheels website.

But what do I know?

:goodpost: What he said

signswi

Large corporations regularly hire very expensive ad agencies to do artwork only and consider it to be just the cost of doing business and then they still have to hire us. (Nor do they seem to care that the layout which looks nice in a magazine doesn't work well on a sign or truck, but that's another topic.)

If I wasn't a sign company and only did artwork for a living would that be a completely different scenario? UCLA recently paid someone $90,000. to design a logo, stylesheets for its use and a website and said, "It was well worth the money." Locally, Anna the Florist would have paid under $5,000. for the same thing.

Where is the line and why can some people justify making the big bucks doing some of the same thing we do every day? I feel like a highway robber if I make excessive profit on a job.

Have you ever been a part of a major corporate rebrand? Anna the Florist is NOT getting the same thing that UCLA did. You're talking thousands and thousands of person hours spread across dozens of disciplines for a major corporate rebrand. $60k for a new identity and a website is a really good deal at that scale. A new website alone would cost that much for such a large institution, usually more. $60k is like half off for a site and an identity.

As to the OP, charge the client. You should have had a contract that spelled out the situations of IP transference but as you didn't, you need to feel the guy out. $500-1000 is pretty typical for a full IP transfer.

I have been involved in a similar situation. I designed the grahics for a toy that also evolved into a game for an individual. These products were purchased & produced by a well known brand.

prior to my client finalizing the details of his sale, the individual paid me & a contract was drawn up by his lawyer prior to the finalization of his sake with the new purchaser our deal had to be finalized so that the new company had clear rights to all aspects of the products.

in my opinion your deal is with the owner of the truck if he wants to sell the rights for this to be produced.

RobbyMac

I will tell you this... agreement or not, it's pretty cool to be walking down the toy aisle while christmas shopping and find a bunch of your designs hanging on the pegs.

Techman

One more reason why we keep our rights intact by using proper paper work.

I did work for a local organization for years. They hired me to provide certain services. I also paid for my logo as a sponsor to be on their T-shirt they gave out as incentives. And they used my t-shirt design on the front of that same shirt.

One year they got a new director. He told me to work for FREE, and pay to be on the shirt, and donate the design. He made his request after I agreed to another season of work and after they printed the new season t-shirts.
Why? because he said I had advertising access to their hundreds of clients and that was worth hundreds of dollars.

Well now, since I would not work for free so they hired a different contractor for a much cheaper price. I got some complaints about the lamers work after their customers thought I was supplying. That is when the director ran into my design rights.

In essence they were using my company logo name as a service provider but used a lamer to do the actual work. And they used my design on their t-shirts without proper rights. In the end they had to pay me any way.

Fortunately for my company every thing was in writing. So the lesson is, keep our rights intact. Use the proper paperwork. And enforce those rights because we never know who will try to abuse us.

JoshLoring

Regardless of what anyone's opinion is in this tread....

You would be retarded to not give up the artwork for free. Just make sure your logo is on it when you hand it over so it goes to production like that.

This is priceless marketing for your business that even charging 100k for wouldn't make up for.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe my artwork would be worth money... but I agree with Josh, but my logo on a Matchbox truck is a once in a lifetime opportunity (as long as they sent me a case or 2 of them for promotions and giving away to key clients)