• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artwork Storage ?

Signarama PTBO

Just wondering what people are using as there storage devices for all their artwork?

Looking for options/ideas, we are closing in on 1TB of data and would like to know what is outthere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

SignBurst PCs

Just wondering what people are using as there storage devices for all their artwork?

Looking for options/ideas, we are closing in on 1TB of data and would like to know what is outthere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

I am a big fan of a NAS running RAID 1,5, or 10 for data storage. You should still backup your NAS, but it can store, share, and create redundancy of files to protect you against drive failure.

Letterbox Mike

Yup, we use a 1T NAS device made by Hammer Storage, works great, simple as can be to hook up, no headaches whatsoever. We run it in RAID 1 so there's a constant backup of everything.

We're close to filling it up so we're looking into a 2T or 4T that will run in RAID 10, and I'd like to get one with hot-swappable drives so we can keep a mirrored copy offsite as well in case of a fire.

We briefly investigated the option of a true server for file storage, but for our setup, a NAS does exactly what we need so there's no reason to go above and beyond that.

W

www.esigns.com

We have a 8TB Nas storage device from Casey @ signburst.com and very happy. We would not be able to set it up and install our self (it is tricky) and Casey's help was exceptional.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We have a Linux server running Fedora and Samba with a 1 TB mirrored RAID. The RAID is not a software RAID -- it is a true hardware RAID (3ware -- now called LSI). All data, mail, etc., is stored on this.

We also have a USB SATA docking station connecting to a little-used workstation that runs FolderClone every evening and makes a clone on a 1TB drive slipped into the SATA docking station. We have two of these drives which are alternated day to day. In the evening, one of the drive goes home with me while the other is cloned from the day's work. This way, as a disaster backup, we always have a complete (less one day) copy of all the work we've ever done offsite.

Because FolderClone only needs to update the contents of the take-home drives, it doesn't have to do too much day to day. On checking the logs, it appears that a typical daily update can take as little as 20 mins and as much as a few hours depending on the sizes of the files added or updated to the server in the normal course of the workday.

Besides this, we also have a stack of older drives that we use to make compressed snapshots of our work data using Genie Backup software. We make a copy approximately every six months. We call this our stupidity backup as it actually saved our asses once when an inept employee accidentally deleted all of the G customers and it wasn't noticed for a few days (past the reach of the daily disaster backup)...

choucove

At our office we have a file server which is just running Windows 7 hosting out file shares. There primary hard drives are in their own RAID 1 array to help minimize downtime in the case that one hard drive would fail, and all the actual data is stored on a separate RAID 1 array of 1TB hard drives. Everything is backed up onto an external hard drive, which is rotated off-site.

I've seen a lot of people building a basic system using RAID 1 and just use that for all their storage and backup. After all, with a mirror RAID, everything that's on one drive is on the second drive. However, I've seen RAID 1 arrays fail quite frequently (just today again actually) where it corrupts the operating system running on the drives. While you still can get into your data a lot of times and retrieve it when this happens, your system is still down and offline until you reinstall everything again.

If you're going to have a file server I'd still recommend doing a backup to another location off the RAID array, such as to an external hard drive. That way, if the server goes down or your RAID array fails, you just take your external drive to another computer, plug it in, and you have all your data in a matter of minutes.

RAID can definitely be handy, but anymore I don't think of RAID1 for the specific purpose of doing backups. I see that more of as "side effect" of the RAID because if you download a virus, then your backup drive has that virus too. If Windows gets a corruption in the bootloader (which is what I saw just today) then the other drive is the same way. RAID 1 really is just to try and minimize downtime in the case that one hard drive fails and, yes, will make a backup of your data so it's not totally gone in the event a drive dies, but I wouldn't 100% trust it as your only means of backup anymore.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
At our office we have a file server which is just running Windows 7 hosting out file shares. There primary hard drives are in their own RAID 1 array to help minimize downtime in the case that one hard drive would fail, and all the actual data is stored on a separate RAID 1 array of 1TB hard drives. Everything is backed up onto an external hard drive, which is rotated off-site.

What kind of RAID device are you using? Is it a true hardware RAID requiring no drivers?

I've seen a lot of people building a basic system using RAID 1 and just use that for all their storage and backup. After all, with a mirror RAID, everything that's on one drive is on the second drive. However, I've seen RAID 1 arrays fail quite frequently (just today again actually) where it corrupts the operating system running on the drives. While you still can get into your data a lot of times and retrieve it when this happens, your system is still down and offline until you reinstall everything again.

With the 3ware true hardware RAID card, there is no downtime -- if one of the data drives fails, the system issues me a note and I simply take out the bad drive and replace with a newer same size or larger drive and the card rebuilds the RAID automatically. I've not had to do this in eight years.

I do not have the OS on a raid -- I just made a clone of the OS drive on a separate drive and it sits and waits to be used in the event the other drive ever fails. Its already mounted in the server but not plugged in -- all I need to do is open the side and switch the data and power cables and we're off and running, again...

choucove

What kind of RAID device are you using? Is it a true hardware RAID requiring no drivers?

With the 3ware true hardware RAID card, there is no downtime -- if one of the data drives fails, the system issues me a note and I simply take out the bad drive and replace with a newer same size or larger drive and the card rebuilds the RAID automatically. I've not had to do this in eight years.

I do not have the OS on a raid -- I just made a clone of the OS drive on a separate drive and it sits and waits to be used in the event the other drive ever fails. Its already mounted in the server but not plugged in -- all I need to do is open the side and switch the data and power cables and we're off and running, again...

A dedicated hardware RAID controller, like you are mentioning here, is definitely where a true RAID array has its power. My examples, and where I have continually seen RAID arrays fail, has been using onboard RAID controllers and software RAID. The complaint I hear from customers that are dead set on using RAID, though, is "I don't want to spend an extra $400 for a card that does the same thing as what's included on the motherboard!" But, that $400 makes a huge difference in the actual performance and reliability of that array!

Anymore, if you're doing a file server system, just spend the extra money and get a decent RAID controller card.