• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Automatic Banner Script for Illu

Couldn't find a good banner script for illustrator that creates hole marks automatically according to banner size which was very frustrating, so I learned programming and wrote one myself :DSee if you like it, create a new artboard, drop the script on it, done.

1661238442500.png

Attachments

• AutoBanner.zip
    1,014 bytes · Views: 194
Last edited:

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
anyone smarter than me and know how to adjust the script to align the stroke on the outside of the line and not centered?

jochwat

Graphics Department
I made one of these for InDesign back in 2015, but it's somewhat specific to how we set up banner jobs for that particular company. But maybe it's useful for someone. Let me know in a message and I can send it to you. My coding is definitely a sloppy embarrassment to real coders, so I'm reluctant to set it free into the wild. However, if it'll help someone, just say the word. I just tested it out in the absolutely-newest version of InDesign, and other than having to add some lines to force the output to inches, seems like it still works! Attached file is just an output example. 4' x 2' banner showing guides for live area, hem margin, fold lines, and grommets. The grommet marks for this particular workflow actually end up on the back of the banner after the sides are folded, to avoid issues with them floating around in the artwork.

Attachments

• AutoBan_OutputTest.pdf
    11.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
not sure what you mean?
We use a 72pt (1inch) stroke for our banner hems, your script would work great for me but I need to have the stroke aligned to the outside of the box it makes, not centered. I found and changed the stroke size, just need to know if I can specify where the stroke aligns to.

This is how I set up banners, the grey gets folded for the hem.

The attached PDF is how I set them up.

Attachments

• Banner.pdf
    348.6 KB · Views: 134
We use a 72pt (1inch) stroke for our banner hems, your script would work great for me but I need to have the stroke aligned to the outside of the box it makes, not centered. I found and changed the stroke size, just need to know if I can specify where the stroke aligns to.

This is how I set up banners, the grey gets folded for the hem.

The attached PDF is how I set them up.
open the script with any text editor and modify "var offset=35*mm" to "var offset=-25*mm"

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
This is cool! Although I don't use it for banners since Onyx does all of that for us, is there a way to change this to put .5" dots 1" on center in corners and then add a dot and distribute if it's over 36"?
I tried messing it with it a little but everything is metric and I think i'm missing a few. I also wouldn't need any additional lines, borders or bleed, just the dots. Is there also a way to have the color a spot color rather than CMYK?
As you can tell, I don't know much about scripting. :help
I layout drill holes for photos and I have to type in the locations of the dots or copy and paste and change the size without changing the center location from the distance from the edge.

Last edited:
This is cool! Although I don't use it for banners since Onyx does all of that for us, is there a way to change this to put .5" dots 1" on center in corners and then add a dot and distribute if it's over 36"?
I tried messing it with it a little but everything is metric and I think i'm missing a few. I also wouldn't need any additional lines, borders or bleed, just the dots. Is there also a way to have the color a spot color rather than CMYK?
As you can tell, I don't know much about scripting. :help
I layout drill holes for photos and I have to type in the locations of the dots or copy and paste and change the size with changing the center location from the distance from the edge.
do you have a template?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
do you have a template?
Here is the basic concept. (PDF saved with Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities so if you open in Illustrator each page will be on it's own artboard.)

Attachments

• Mount Template for Script.pdf
    747.3 KB · Views: 124
dotdist needs to be modified to set the distance from edge - it's metric but you can use google to translate it into mm, just like the "target" which sets when the middle dot is inserted