• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Automotive Base/Clear on Wood

rjssigns

I tried the search and didn't find anything relating to automotive finishes on wood. Tried a Google search and instead of help those forums devolve into opinions/bickering.

Since it's for a yacht client spec is a base/clear finish. While I've gotten base/clear on wood stands that hold up motorcycle parts(and it looks great) I've never done it on purpose.

My thought is to use 2K style primer, wet sand to level, shoot base, apply logo, 3 coats of clear then cut and buff. Logo/lettering will be Real Gold with Edge printed stroke.

Anyone see anything wrong with the process?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Are you trying to get it smooth? I did a project and painted cabinets and plywood accents in base clear. Used an epoxy primer first, then body filler on the edges (dont put body filler over raw wood), then slick sand, sanded that, hit with some 2 part putty as needed. slick sand again, sand again. Then base/clear.

rjssigns

Are you trying to get it smooth? I did a project and painted cabinets and plywood accents in base clear. Used an epoxy primer first, then body filler on the edges (dont put body filler over raw wood), then slick sand, sanded that, hit with some 2 part putty as needed. slick sand again, sand again. Then base/clear.

Thank you for the information and client wants it perfectly smooth. Sounds like I'm headed in the right direction anyway.

What epoxy primer? I think I've got some leftover DP50 in the shop.(may be expired though, same with my 2K)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Its been awhile, was either axalta or this high build marine epoxy we use. It is similar to sherwin williams macropoxy. Any should do, its just to seal up the wood. It’s a fair amount of work. A urethane surfacing primer will work in place of slick sand if you cand find it.

rjssigns

Its been awhile, was either axalta or this high build marine epoxy we use. It is similar to sherwin williams macropoxy. Any should do, its just to seal up the wood. It’s a fair amount of work. A urethane surfacing primer will work in place of slick sand if you cand find it.

Cool. I'll check into the products you suggested. My big thing is getting the wood completely sealed.

Johnny Best

West System epoxy ( not sure on numbers, 105 resin and 207 hardener, if I remember right ) with one good prep and coat, sand, and then around 3 or 4 coats of marine varnish, Pettit marine UV inhibiters varnish. Or finish with clear two part AwlGrip instead of varnish.

rjssigns

West System epoxy ( not sure on numbers, 105 resin and 207 hardener, if I remember right ) with one good prep and coat, sand, and then around 3 or 4 coats of marine varnish, Pettit marine UV inhibiters varnish. Or finish with clear two part AwlGrip instead of varnish.

Thanks for the information. It may come in handy with the type of work I do. Going to run with an automotive type finish system since that's in my wheelhouse.