• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Automotive Clear Finish over Wrap

daenterpri

Is it ok to put a clear finish over a vinyl wrap? A customer wants me to wrap a steel water slide, and then he wants to spray a clear automotive finish over it to keep it sealed and protected. Is that ok? Any particular finish better than another?

Thanks for your help!

rjssigns

Perfectly fine to clear coat a laminated graphic. Valspar AC4400 clear is super tough. It's what I use on motorcycles. YMMV

2B

yup perfectly fine, we have done a fair amount of restaurant's bars and table tops with vinyl then seal it with clear resin

daenterpri

Thanks guys! Now, in this scenario, I figured out that adhesion would be best using a calendared high-tac vinyl. Since calendared media can shrink, especially outdoors, what would happen if we put a clear finish over it? Would the clear finish protect the calendared vinyl from shrinkage?

Thanks again!

visual800

Thanks guys! Now, in this scenario, I figured out that adhesion would be best using a calendared high-tac vinyl. Since calendared media can shrink, especially outdoors, what would happen if we put a clear finish over it? Would the clear finish protect the calendared vinyl from shrinkage?

Thanks again!

depends on how deep you bury it. I have signs out there for several years that look great, i have had some vinyl curling upmundef the clear on others, i have even had the clear scale off the vinyl. And all were done the same way. You just never know.

make sure you scuff the vinyl and clean properly. We prefer to clear non laminated vinyls as we did have the clear pull the laminate off the clear ona. Large sign.
i dont like laminate for the reason it is so strong when it contracts it takes everything with it

player

I thought cast was better because it shrinks less. If you use a calendared vinyl and it shrinks under the clear, that could be a problem.

When clear coating it is good to lay a very light coat, let it dry, and repeat a few times. This sets up a protective barrier so the thinners and clear chemicals don't attack your vinyl.