• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

autowrap help AVERY DENNISON color change

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Alright my prends. I know some of you love avery dennison...I have a couple of customers who has come back with color change wraps that have black dots (kinda like orange peel) on the horizontal surfaces of the vehicle. One vehicle in particular, the dots are starting to move down the sides.

anybody have any ideas as to why its happening? you can't FEEL the black dots and one customers seems to think the wrap is "disentegrating". However, it truly looks like possibly chemical droplets? I am just trying to figure out whats happened.

Precision

How old are the wraps. When color change goes bad it can look like that, and continue to discolor between washes. Almost like the fallout from the atmosphere creates a reaction with the wrap if you don't wash often enough.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
so, it's not sap. you can't feel it. you can't clean it off. its on the horizontal surfaces but it's making its way down. We have seen this on 2 of the cars that we have wrapped with avery. This one was done over a year ago and the other one was done over 3 years ago.

Attachments

• 20220829_140451.jpg
    20220829_140451.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 20220829_140237.jpg
    20220829_140237.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20220829_140223.jpg
    20220829_140223.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220829_140209.jpg
    20220829_140209.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20220829_140100.jpg
    20220829_140100.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 191

weyandsign

Ask them if they park the car anywhere near a burn pit or something. The debris from the fire can fall on the car from a good distance away.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Looks like mold almost. I would get a hold of your Avery rep and have them come take a look at it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get out your loupe or a good camera with a macro lens and examine the spots up close, I'm betting they're coming from "below" and not the surface.

This wrap series does not have a very good durability rating. That could explain some of the reason for your problem See attached chart I found on the Avery-Dennison web site

Attachments

• SW900 Durability chart.jpg
    SW900 Durability chart.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 153

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
This wrap series does not have a very good durability rating. That could explain some of the reason for your problem See attached chart I found on the Avery-Dennison web site
It's been a minute since I looked at the specs, but I think 3 years on horizontal surfaces is pretty standard among the manufacturers.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Get out your loupe or a good camera with a macro lens and examine the spots up close, I'm betting they're coming from "below" and not the surface.
The customer was saying that they think its coming from UNDER the wrap... so are you saying it might be mold under the wrap?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have that page memorized and it's part of our sales schpeel when we are selling wraps. but thanks for offering that up.
and for the record, what gasouthpaw said...this is a pretty standard durability.

Neil Douglas

Its not just happening to Avery its also happening to 3m, Wraps and the companoies warranties are useless, I had to strip our brand new kona after less than 2 years, now I have to do the same thing with our new Ford f150, that was wraped with 3m gloss galaxie black gloss. same results gone spotty.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Does it primarily happen on horizontal surfaces? Or does it happen in vertical places on the vehicle as well?

Neil Douglas

It just bloody Failing, I would NOT wrap any more Cars with either brands of these Specialty Vinyls. It will cost you not only Money but your Reputation. And especially 3m always tries to pass the buck saying its the installation. Yes after over 40 years I don't know how to install.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
It just bloody Failing, I would NOT wrap any more Cars with either brands of these Specialty Vinyls. It will cost you not only Money but your Reputation. And especially 3m always tries to pass the buck saying its the installation. Yes after over 40 years I don't know how to install.
So, how long has this been happening to you? We've only come across 2. And we wrap cars weekly. The two that it happened to were both avery dennison material. One was almost 3 years ago...the other was a little over a year ago.
We've wrapped many cars in between.

weyandsign

Pull off the vinyl and let everyone know if it's under the vinyl or just on the surface. I would lean towards an ENVIRONMENTAL problem and not a material problem.