• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

autowrap help AVERY DENNISON color change

Neil Douglas

So, how long has this been happening to you? We've only come across 2. And we wrap cars weekly. The two that it happened to were both avery dennison material. One was almost 3 years ago...the other was a little over a year ago.
We've wrapped many cars in between.
Its happened on Both of our company Vehicles, one was wrapped with 3M The Galaxie Gloss Black, and the other is the same as on the cover of Avery's Sample Sample selector, cant remember the name off hand.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
UPDATE: AVERY dennison responded to our email and said those colors that have a "gold flake" in them are only warranteed for a year.

Neil Douglas

UPDATE: AVERY dennison responded to our email and said those colors that have a "gold flake" in them are only warranteed for a year.
Imagine , only warranteed for a year on a 3 or 4 thousand dollar and Up wrap, who in their right minds would spend that much money to have their cars wrapped knowing full well that its going to have to be done again in a year, who paints their cars every year?, Right on their color chart it say "Supreme Wrapping Film" Why don't they say its only warranteed for only a Year? Because they know full well people would avoid it like the Monkey Pox! So Misleading!!

weyandsign

I used to use Avery "supercast" all the time until I saw how bad it fails. I personally stay away from Avery trash now. They do make nice labels for folders though.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
NEW UPDATE with the customer. She apparently had gotten into a fender bender or something and so the front bumper vinyl needed to be replaced.
She decided she wanted to replace the dotted vinyl with matte black. Which was fine. We only charged her for the bumper. FOR PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT I WOULD DROP THE CUSTOMER IN THE GREASE: We wrapped this vehicle in February of 2021. FEBRUARY of 2021. WE ARE NOW 4 months away from the 2 year anniversay of the wrap being installed. So, the question was never an installation warranty (which we have a year install warranty) and it was ALWAYS a question of the manufacture warranty.
We replaced the horizontal survaces with matte black vinyl. When we removed the wrap, we found the dots were actually diveted (is that a word? HA) and there were glue dots on the car. Which told us it was probably something HOT that got on it and melted it. We thought that it might be a welder because the customer works on her own cars. OR a chemical because we are in an area with a lot of chemical plants.

This is actually the 3rd time we've wrapped this little car.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Did you bring this to the customer to see if they had any insight? Glad ya followed up and didn't leave them high and dry, but at 3 wraps on the car already, they clearly aren't a bad customer!
I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this without shining a bad light on the customer. It's a long story. Just know that we are trying to work through this with her. But she's clearly got issues NOT RELATED to the car OR US that she has to deal with.
Let's just say that when she comes in, there's a reasonable conversation that takes place on how to fix it...But when she is accompanied by her spouse, there's a bit of tension that we have to work with.

unmateria

Looks like galvanic corrosion to me... They have the car in an alluminium workshop or something like that? Alluminium dust can make things like that in copper. Salt do similar things too but with other colours (green/blues)

But well... Its Avery... You can expect any thing lol. Sorry but after 26 years on the business, i add myself to those that wont use avery and 3m vynils again, especially expensives ones. Dont know where they do them, but judging the quantity of flyes, dust and stains, i would say that they make them on the jungle. Its not normal that you use hundreds of rolls from other brands without any problem at all, and when we buy an avery roll, we know we are going to have issues with it

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Looks like galvanic corrosion to me... They have the car in an alluminium workshop or something like that? Alluminium dust can make things like that in copper. Salt do similar things too but with other colours (green/blues)

But well... Its Avery... You can expect any thing lol. Sorry but after 26 years on the business, i add myself to those that wont use avery and 3m vynils again, especially expensives ones. Dont know where they do them, but judging the quantity of flyes, dust and stains, i would say that they make them on the jungle. Its not normal that you use hundreds of rolls from other brands without any problem at all, and when we buy an avery roll, we know we are going to have issues with it
so what do you use?