• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery 1005ez rs abrasion on takeup

eye4clr

Have any of you seen this material abrade the ink off when put on a takeup roll?

I have a jv3 160 and have had chronic problems with this in the past. But recently this abrasion is becoming a HUGE problem. The more that winds on the takeup, the more it rubs the ink off its self.

I recently rebuilt the profile in an effort to be more aggressive about ink restriction and how the light ink to dark ink transitions work together. I was able to get significantly lower ink loads in the black by reducing the light ink use so it is almost all CMYK with no lc lm when it does blacks. I've set the total inks to 250 with GCR3 in ProfileMaker. My heaters are set to 50c for the preheat, 41c for print. I'm printing 16 pass on a 60" roll so there is lots of dwell time on the heaters and the prints look perfect....other than the horrific abrasion. On the outside of the roll it appears as slight abrasion along the sides of the roll and only in blacks, as might be exptected. As it gets into the middle of the roll (on the takeup) the abrasion is everywhere and across all colors.

On 3m 180v3 i have never had this problem. Same approach to the profile setup and same heater settings. The backer of the 1005 feels much rougher than the 3m's.

I'm out of things to try and find it hard to believe that i'm the only one having this problem.

roadrage

You probably have one of two things going on. If your take up hub splines are worn and slipping inside the take up core you could have a vibration that will do what you are experiencing. Or your take up tension is set to high and winding the material to tight. There is an ajustment on the side of the take up unit to release tension. We did have the vibration problem once and that was a quick fix with new hubs from our dealer. We have 2 JV3's and a JV5 and prints about 300 rolls of Avery a year on them with no issues. Are you unwinding the material when it is finished printing or is it sitting tightly rolled up until your ready to laminate?

roadrage

Oh, and by the way, don't expect to much help from members on this site when you talk about Avery, everyone here is caught up with being a follower of the crap that 3M promotes.

eye4clr

Those items are exactly where my focus started to go. I did indeed find that the takeup was cranked on as tight as it would go and the spindle was spinning inside the takeup core. I also found that the heat setting was driven by a troubleshooting effort to avoid the lclm head from dropping out. The theory was there was a very slight head strike, not enough to actually touch the material, but enough to make the ink smear on the bottom of the head and cause the nozzles to misfire. In fact what i found was my efforts to reduce the lclm use in blacks stabalized that head and now we have the print heat up to 45 with no problems so far.

I'm too chicken to print all the tiles i need on the takeup for the immediate job. I'm doing 2 or 3 then removing the takeup and doing the next few.

Thanks for the help. I think you nailed it.

Sorry to go against you on the Avery, but i see much better quality control with the 3m products. Especially with the 8518 lam vs the DOL 1060. I do the Avery for this customer only. All the other wraps i print are 180v3/8518.

roadrage

Glad I could help, we use the Dol 1360 which is a 1.3 mil. I don't like the 3M because the squeege scratches don't go away in the sun.

Joe Diaz

Oh, and by the way, don't expect to much help from members on this site when you talk about Avery, everyone here is caught up with being a follower of the crap that 3M promotes.

My guess is it has less to do with people being "followers" of 3M and more to do with Avery's own history in this industry. Do some research on this board and others and you will see what I'm talking about.

eye4clr

My guess is it has less to do with people being "followers" of 3M and more to do with Avery's own history in this industry. Do some research on this board and others and you will see what I'm talking about.

+1

Agreed.

Followup info is that i printed 6 large tractor/trailer tiles with lots of black with almost no abrasion problems. This is after the increase in heat, big ease on the takeup clutch, and shimming the takeup spindle with some laminated ABV. Looks like i'm out of the woods.

eye4clr

you need a post heater.

I'm sure that would help. But I'd rather make it work without.

Avery is the only offender. I just ran a full roll of 180v3 with loads of black and flames without any problems. And this was before i made the recent changes.

robr

I use an external heater. I used to get smudging on 3m and avery. The dryer fixed it, I go right from print to lamination, without out-gasing. I've never had a problem since i got my heater.