• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery 1105 Print Issue...

FatCat

So, we've been loving the new Avery 1105, prints much nicer than the previous material and able to get better solids and colors. However, recently we've been experiencing an issue with a few wraps we've done with heavy coverage and primarily dark colors.

I have watched our printers (Mutoh 1624s) lay down a beautiful print, very nice and solid. However, when we go to laminate we noticed random spots or "picking" where it appears the ink is sticking to the backer in random spots. We've noticed this problem on the last 4 rolls we've used, and the only fix is to print 1 panel, not using the take-up and then letting it hang or table dry, which is less than ideal when you're printing multiple panels on a wrap.

As near as I can determine its a combination of the weight/pressure of the material being wound up on the take-up reel and it only affects Avery 1105. Don't see the issue on any other materials we use, including 3M wrap material. Just looking to see if anyone had some thoughts or have come across this same problem.

Thank you.

Dennis422

Never seen anything like that. I do not print much, but in the last 2 months I have used 3 -4 rolls of 1105 and did not see that.
I print on HP L330.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'd almost think your post-heater is on the fritz or maybe set too low and the prints aren't drying fully before they're rolled up.

+1.

If the ink is not sufficiently dry before it hits the take-up reel, you will have this problem (ink transfer). You can crank the heater, reduce the ink volume, and/ or print at a slower speed.

FatCat

So, we have our heaters set at 45/45/50, and I can verify the pre/platen/post heater are all heating well and hot. So, its not the printer. The ink feels pretty dry, I can smoothly rub my hand over it, maybe a little "grabby" feel to it, but again, nothing that doesnt feel normal. The kicker is that we have been running all types of other materials like 3M 40c and IJ-180 with the same type of settings and dont notice the issue on those films. It has strictly been happening with the Avery...

I have seen this in shops that are cool... especially if the printer is on a concrete floor. Try upping the room temp. You can also try using an oscillating fan (one that rotates back and forth). Place it down low just above the take-up. Don't let it blow into the actual print area as it will make your prints blurry.

JeffA

So, we've been loving the new Avery 1105, prints much nicer than the previous material and able to get better solids and colors. However, recently we've been experiencing an issue with a few wraps we've done with heavy coverage and primarily dark colors.

I have watched our printers (Mutoh 1624s) lay down a beautiful print, very nice and solid. However, when we go to laminate we noticed random spots or "picking" where it appears the ink is sticking to the backer in random spots. We've noticed this problem on the last 4 rolls we've used, and the only fix is to print 1 panel, not using the take-up and then letting it hang or table dry, which is less than ideal when you're printing multiple panels on a wrap.

As near as I can determine its a combination of the weight/pressure of the material being wound up on the take-up reel and it only affects Avery 1105. Don't see the issue on any other materials we use, including 3M wrap material. Just looking to see if anyone had some thoughts or have come across this same problem.

Thank you.

I am getting this exact problem with our wrap on Avery 1105 (on a Mimaki CJV150). It's heavy on black and am getting the same picking you mentioned.. Did you ever resolve this??

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Its a profile issue. Your printer is laying too much ink down. What are the ink limits with the profile you are using?