• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery / Mutoh Wrap Academy Class March 3-5th

mikey-Oh

So I'm going to a wrap class headed by Justin Pate in Denison, TX next week. Looking forward to some professional guidance and honing of my skills. We've wrapped a few vehicles and miscellaneous items here, just never been completely satisfied with the execution and/or results.

Also, looks like my boss' tacked on the extra cash to get me Avery Certified. Searched through the forum and it appears that the word 'certification' alone tends to generate quite a bit of debate. I do not wish to weigh whether it's important or not, as I'm going to be tested either way. However does any have some pointers and/or helpful suggestions? I'm the guy that actually read his textbooks in college and grabbed a couple extra from the library. There's little to no documentation on this exam and would like to avoid a trial by fire.

Any fellow s101ers attending?
Finally and most importantly, does anyone know of a good place to eat?

WrapperX

Personally I don't think having a "certified" title makes you any better or worse an installer. Really the skills are the same, its really just the money put up to pay for it. Although when you go through the training courses you are held to a higher expectation from the trainer. Basically, in my opinion, its a bragging rights thing. Its something that says officially I am cleared by the AVERY program and they support what I do because they have said I'm good enough. It's not a knock on anyone thats certified or not. Although, if you are certified, you can techinally ask for money because of it. Its kinda like that degree you got. There's no major in college that fits in line with installation industry of Wrapping. However, because you have that degree, your employer is obligated to pay you a certain amount more because you are supposedly educated. vs the worker who only has a highschool diploma that has learned all the same things you have about this job while working on the job. Plus that degree means you will cap out later then they will. Same with the Certification, you have been Professionally educated and certified therefore you are worth more money. And its for that reason and that reason alone I wish to go through a certification program. Just looking for the right company to pay for it, because it is NOT CHEAP. Have fun, take it all in, and earn that $$!

mikey-Oh

Right on WrapperX! To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I feel about "certification" one way or another, just know it's coming and I'd like to be prepared.
BTW I loved Speed Racer as a kid:smile:

WildWestDesigns

I think it would really depend on the situation as to whether or not a degree or certification in this case, makes a difference compared to having just experience.

I have a degree in a field that 85% of the people don't have a degree in that field. Some may not even have a regular HS degree, but a GED or nothing at all. Through experience they might know that this works and that doesn't, but they won't really know why. The why is hopefully what you will learn in getting the degree or certification. Knowing the why helps you think outside the box and be more efficient as well.

This doesn't work in all cases, it depends on the field of study, but there are times when having the formal education does help. Even if it's just tips and "tricks".

performancev

De Happy Cajun
5005 N Fm 120, Pottsboro, TX 75076
Most of the time i get the fried gator tail and my brother absolutely loves their steak. It takes us an hour and a half to get there and we have driven it for no other reason than to eat there.

mikey-Oh

IThis doesn't work in all cases, it depends on the field of study, but there are times when having the formal education does help. Even if it's just tips and "tricks".
Very true... my market/skill-set's extremely saturated... Did you know that you can get a degree in GD in just six weeks online? Like an idiot, I paid entirely TOOO much for a formalized education.

I hope the knowledge sticks. While your there take note of what brand ink Mutoh is using.

That makes three of us. I'll spy what I can, even ask some questions. Funny, our feller's rep tried to sell us on third-party inks not just two weeks ago...

De Happy Cajun
5005 N Fm 120, Pottsboro, TX 75076
Most of the time i get the fried gator tail and my brother absolutely loves their steak. It takes us an hour and a half to get there and we have driven it for no other reason than to eat there.

Awesome! Fried gator tail sounds delicious :thankyou:

Go get some Babe's Fried Chicken in Sanger!

Looks logistically possible, just need to head south fer a bit on Saturday before my return to Okiehoma. Thanks jiarby!

WildWestDesigns

Very true... my market/skill-set's extremely saturated... Did you know that you can get a degree in GD in just six weeks online? Like an idiot, I paid entirely TOOO much for a formalized education.

You know when I went to college, it was almost unheard of for an online degree to be taken seriously, but I just think that's the way the world is going. More online classes. To be honest, I liked the one class that I had online, but a whole degree I think I would feel kinda strange to me even in this day and age.

cdiesel

I didn't even know Avery had it's own certification program.. Avery still endorses the PDAA program.

Google didn't turn up a single related result on the first page for "avery certified".. That's weird.

mikey-Oh

I didn't even know Avery had it's own certification program.. Avery still endorses the PDAA program.

Google didn't turn up a single related result on the first page for "avery certified".. That's weird.

Yep, my mind=blown. Trying to figure out what I can do to pass, but I can't find it as an option aside from their drive this year. Any suggestion for attainment and accomplishment with the PDAA?

cdiesel

I dunno.. Never heard of the test so I couldn't tell you how to study for it.

PDAA Testing is not something that recommended for someone who is new(ish) to the field of wrapping or vinyl installation. The PDAA and UASG tests are for professionals who are very experienced and knowledgable, and can handle any vinyl installation confidently and correctly the first time.

If you think you're ready to become a member of the PDAA, you can learn more here:
http://www.sgia.org/pdaa/reasons_to_join.cfm

mikey-Oh

I dunno.. Never heard of the test so I couldn't tell you how to study for it.

PDAA Testing is not something that recommended for someone who is new(ish) to the field of wrapping or vinyl installation. The PDAA and UASG tests are for professionals who are very experienced and knowledgable, and can handle any vinyl installation confidently and correctly the first time.

If you think you're ready to become a member of the PDAA, you can learn more here:
http://www.sgia.org/pdaa/reasons_to_join.cfm

Well, least that's the first honest/professional suggestion. While I do consider myself a professional in many endeavors, I can't be entirely sure of all/any installations. Specially if I'm supposed to be bad@ss in any situation, whether or not I've utilized unsaid materials.
Have a cool head, rationalistic approach, mind designed to cipher and the attitude of a honey badger. I will conquer anything in my path. Odin be with me!

I'm good enough,
smart enough, and
gosh darn it peoples like me

cdiesel

Well you sound like you have the right attitude!

As a certified installer, you never know what vinyl you may end up with on a jobsite. Of course, every printer tells you they used "ControlTac" (of course they're referring to IJ180C, even though there are like 50 very different vinyls that are ControlTac), even when they printed on the cheapest Chinese crap they could find. You'll show up to a site to find the "3M laminated film" you're supposed to wrap that Mini Cooper with are actually unlaminated, premasked graphics. I could go on..

Point is, you need to be ready for almost anything. There are also other requirements, such as being in business for at least three years, carrying liability insurance, etc.

mikey-Oh

Just remember, sh!t happens. It's how you deal with it that counts.
Enjoy the course!

Well you sound like you have the right attitude!

Thanks Guys! Shop I work for's now entered their fortieth year, though the sign division's only ten years old. When I stepped in, not to brag, our level of execution/quality's about tenfold from where they were ten years ago.

Can't even imagine the headaches/frustrations of an installer on contract for other shops. Plan to absorb as much as possible during the class. Also possibly eat some fried gator tail and awesome fried chicken.

I love this forum and and only hope to someday give more than half of which I've learned here... That'd be an accomplishment. :smile:

phototec

Certification is for experienced wrap applicators!

So I'm going to a wrap class headed by Justin Pate in Denison, TX next week. Looking forward to some professional guidance and honing of my skills. We've wrapped a few vehicles and miscellaneous items here, just never been completely satisfied with the execution and/or results.

Also, looks like my boss' tacked on the extra cash to get me Avery Certified. Searched through the forum and it appears that the word 'certification' alone tends to generate quite a bit of debate. I do not wish to weigh whether it's important or not, as I'm going to be tested either way. However does any have some pointers and/or helpful suggestions?

Finally and most importantly, does anyone know of a good place to eat?

I think you may be in for a big surprise regarding the Certification and testing, like it has been mentioned by Chris, Certification is for experienced wrap applicators, not someone who has wrapped just a few vehicle's, and then takes a one day class on the certification process and then pass the test.

It's NOT about what to study so you can pass a test, it's about having years of experience behind you and being able to handle a entire complex wrap by yourself. Other wise, any John Do could walk in off the street, take a three day class, (first two days is basic, third day is the certification prep), and pass a test and he would be a certified installer, what do you think that would do to the creditability of the Certification program?

Below is a link to the Avery website, read down at the bottom of the page, Avery even states: "Certification testing is for experienced wrap applicators. The Training Sessions will help prepare you for the exam, but does not guarantee passing the exam."

http://na.averygraphics.com/AvGrNA_avery_wrap_school.asp

Have you personally wrapped at least one of every type of vehicle, HHR, PT Cruiser, Ford Transit?

Can you wrap compound curved side mirrors without bubbles or wrinkles?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or burst your bubble, just trying to shed light on reality and the true meaning of the certification program, which is for an installer with lots of hands on experience behind him or her, NOT just reading information in a ONE day class and passing a test.

Enjoy the class, Justin is a great instructor, I took his class last May at Signwarehouse. Although the gator and chicken sound great, my choice would be The Jalapeno Tree, located right there in Denison, The Jalapeno Tree has been voted Best Mexican Food in BSCENE’s Best of 2010 Readers Choice Survey. I thought it was some of the best Mexican Food I have ever eaten.

http://www.jalapenotree.com/index.p...2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=3&Itemid=8

mikey-Oh

It's NOT about what to study so you can pass a test, it's about having years of experience behind you and being able to handle a entire complex wrap by yourself. Other wise, any John Do could walk in off the street, take a three day class, (first two days is basic, third day is the certification prep), and pass a test and he would be a certified installer, what do you think that would do to the creditability of the Certification program?

Hello phototec, I completely agree. Creditability is of the utmost importance when concerning certification. The standard for any program determines what clout, if any, a cert might mean. The PDAA exam and program appears to be rigorous, well thought out and a definite standard of excellence. In contrast, a certain sign supplier no longer offers training courses, yet will certify a shop/individual if they spend $X with them a year and only a few photos of work.

To be honest and my reason for starting this thread's to gain insight into how rigorous this program is. From what I understand it's newish and there's not much information regarding this exam. As with anything in life, it's really a matter of how dedicated an individual is.

Have you personally wrapped at least one of every type of vehicle, HHR, PT Cruiser, Ford Transit?

No sir or Ma'am, I have not. I would if a client came in with one. Imagine this list would take me longer, but diligence and patience are great virtues.

Can you wrap compound curved side mirrors without bubbles or wrinkles?

This, I can and have done. Wrapping's a crazy sort of kung-fu but can be fun and rewarding. Helmets take me two or three pieces... though someday I hope to nail them with just one piece.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or burst your bubble, just trying to shed light on reality and the true meaning of the certification program, which is for an installer with lots of hands on experience behind him or her, NOT just reading information in a ONE day class and passing a test.

Again, I agree. No parade or bubbles here. This is my fourth year being called a sign maker, but I've been training for 29 years to be the best I can at whatever I do. As indicated in my first post, I do not have a choice in this matter. Yet, this task is my charge and I will do everything in my power to persevere and succeed.

Enjoy the class, Justin is a great instructor, I took his class last May at Signwarehouse. Although the gator and chicken sound great, my choice would be The Jalapeno Tree, located right there in Denison, The Jalapeno Tree has been voted Best Mexican Food in BSCENE’s Best of 2010 Readers Choice Survey. I thought it was some of the best Mexican Food I have ever eaten.

http://www.jalapenotree.com/index.p...2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=3&Itemid=8

Will do! Looks like I know where I'm eating dinner on Thursday!
Thanks again for taking the time and effort for your reply. I truly appreciate it.
:thankyou:

Last edited: