• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Awning repair

SureFireSG

I have a customer looking to repair a fairly old awning that has ripped on the top. I am fairly new to awnings and I’m not sure if this is something over my head, or something really simple.

I was thinking of taking it down, and sewing in a long patch of new material across it and sewing it all back together.

I’ve also attached a picture of the damaged awning.

thanks in advanced!
2EF938B9-D0B6-49BB-A2B9-DCDD5CD704B6.jpeg

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Take it off completely or totally replace it. It's so badly faded that it'll look like a patchwork quilt, unless that flap of material at the top is what used to be in front. But even then, the material is so badly UV damaged that I'd doubt the stitching would hold.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention, almost all the seams need repairs. I doubt it'll work without a hitch and the owner will hold you responsible. Not to mention the egg crates underneath look bad, too. Be better to tell the guy, it has to be replaced with a new one or something more up-to-date.

unclebun

I think this was covered in Matthew 9:16. "No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse." (NIV)

The old awning is toast. Repair is futile.