• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Background Removal Software

kheebl

Whats everyone's favorite background removal software. I know I can get the best results by manually doing it, but looking for a quick tool for jobs where its not super important to get a perfect job. I've use remove.bg in the past and its been decent. I have also heard about Topaz Mask AI, but have never personally used it. I'm open to other suggestions also.

WildWestDesigns

But thould maybe there was a good stand alone program that I can pay 1 time and own it.
Those days for the most part are loooonnnnnngggg gone. Any that are still one off purchases, I doubt that will remain the case for long (they may, but I tend to doubt it, but there could be hope). Topaz Mask I believe is one (at least from what I can tell from their website) and it does have a trial, so I would check that out and see.

Back to the original question, you already said it when you said that you knew you would get the best results by doing it manually. Pick a software that allows you to do it manually and go with that. That actually may open up to having a better chance of being able to say that you "own" the software as well. At least at this point in time. Ps would not fit that bill though, but it would be a good option for being able to do what you want to do, but you'll be paying a subscription for it.

kheebl

I was kind of afraid of the subscription thing. It’s not a huge deal breaker. I saw how topaz was a 1 time purchase and I definitely liked that aspect. I think I will give the trial a shot I must have missed that when I was looking.

WildWestDesigns

I was kind of afraid of the subscription thing. It’s not a huge deal breaker.
I'm one of those that it is a deal break for (I know surprise right?) when it comes to production software. For some things, I can understand, may not still do it, but it at least isn't something that I would think is stupid for being a subscription service.

Yea, I was actually surprised about Topaz not only having a trial, but also having a standalone version for that program and not just a Ps plugin (which defeats a stand alone purchase). I think my mom has used a Topaz Laps product at one time, but it wasn't for this, I'm thinking it was a collection of filters though.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
android phones have this function - send it to a phone , remove the background and send it back . easy and free to android users

rjssigns

I use On1. Hardly ever do that type of work anymore so can't comment on what is the easiest with the cleanest result.

kheebl

I'm one of those that it is a deal break for (I know surprise right?) when it comes to production software. For some things, I can understand, may not still do it, but it at least isn't something that I would think is stupid for being a subscription service.

Yea, I was actually surprised about Topaz not only having a trial, but also having a standalone version for that program and not just a Ps plugin (which defeats a stand alone purchase). I think my mom has used a Topaz Laps product at one time, but it wasn't for this, I'm thinking it was a collection of filters though.
Looking closer at their site I see they offer different bundles but unfortunately for me the 2 I want are in different bundles‍♂️ I’m looking at gigapixel and mask ai.

kheebl

Works well, but watch the videos as it has several different tools and ways to go about background removal.
Do you know what app you have from on1? I see a few different options listed on the website but not sure what one has the ability to do what I’m wanting.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The topaz one works about as good as it is going to without using Photoshop to do it manually. It does take some learning tinkering and not every photo works well but it can do a great job of masking really complicated objects like hair.

kheebl

The topaz one works about as good as it is going to without using Photoshop to do it manually. It does take some learning tinkering and not every photo works well but it can do a great job of masking really complicated objects like hair.
I downloaded the trial but haven't had a chance yet to try it out. If it can cut people out of backgrounds quickly thats a win for me. I do quite a few banners for youth sports and they always seem to give me a outdoor team photo, but want the background changed to something else. so I'm not super worried about it being perfect since they are just for temp banners the team hangs up during games.