• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Cabinet Pricing Help Please

jman

Hey there,

I recently got into doing back lit sign cabinets as my vendor assembles them fully (UL certified and all) and all I have to do at the shop is put the graphics on the faces.

I was wondering if there is a general rule of thumb of marking these up. My vendor said a 40% margin is suggested but I wanted to double check. I tried calling around the area and it seems like a lengthy process for companies around here to get a price on one of these.

For example this is what my vendor supplies me as a all but the graphics on the faces inclusive package:

(1) 48”H x 96”W x 8” Deep SF Fully-Assembled Sign Cabinet
w/flat white Polycarb Face
w/UL
Illuminated with LEDs
Painted Black
Power left inside
Wall Mount

So that would make something $1000 my cost be $2500 retail plus the graphics installed and actual sign cabinet installation right?

Thank you!

signguy 55

I would recommend a pan face, less worrying about breaking when your moving it around your shop and it's much stronger after installation.
Also don't forget crating and shipping which can add several hundreds of dollars to the cost. You forget about that and it will ruin your day when it's time to order.

Double the wholesale cost after everything is figured and then figure your cost for lettering the face, whether translucent vinyl lettering or a digital print. Design time is included.
That's the way I do it. Never lost money yet. The customer's 50% deposit covers the wholesale price of getting the cabinet and face shipped to you. That's a great feeling.

Customer pays for all the permits. Hooking up to stubbed out electrical is figured in, but ANY electrical beyond that is I tell the customer to get a licensed electrician. Don't lose money on transporting the sign to job site and the final installation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't get your math ?? You said 40%, but you added 150%, plus all the other bells and whistles.

As long as you have the licensing for installing this, along with proper insurance, you should be good to go.

jman

I don't get your math ?? You said 40%, but you added 150%, plus all the other bells and whistles.

As long as you have the licensing for installing this, along with proper insurance, you should be good to go.

Hey Gino,

My vendor suggested 40% MARGIN which is different than a simple 40% mark up from my understanding. I typically double my material and substrate cost but I didn't know the rule of thumb on these types as they are thousands in raw materials alone.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!