• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit Signs

Tony Rome

So, I have been asked to do a sign that will need to be attached to a wall and backlit.
I have not done this before and was wondering how I accomplish this.
I will have the material routed and if it was just about going straight on to the wall I have done that, but not with lighting.
Could someone explain how this is done? I imagine some type of standoffs but they can't show through the front.
And then, the lighting, no clue there.
Any help is appreciated.
Posted an example. Will be suing similar substrate (Aluminum face foam core)
9472741371_fc1af7db9a_b.jpg

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
That is a "Halo Illuminated - Reverse Channel Letter"

First you need electrical access, it is a drop ceiling? Access from the back?

That is not aluminum faced foamcore and I don't recommend that, that is an aluminum or stainless steel reverse channel letter...

To stand it off the wall, you need to use butterfly bolts that run thru a stand off.

Lighting is by nestling LEDS in the letter channel.

Are you licensed to do this?

Attachments

• channel-Letters_diagrams3_side.jpg
    channel-Letters_diagrams3_side.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 218

visualeyez

Order the LED lit letters with power supplies. You can wire up all the secondary wires yourself and just hire an electrician for 1 hour labor to wire up the primaries...

Tony Rome

I really appreciate this information. Think this is out of my wheelhouse (at least right now).
Thanks for the polite information!

Rocco G

Where in PA are you located? I may be able to recommend someone depending on where you are. I know a lot of wholesale shops to either make the signs or install or both.

henryz

Gemini or Steel Art can do this as well as other merchants on the forum, you can even sub out the install. No need to pass on a job plus only way to learn is by trying. I'm sure if you have any questions we all can help. Just like Rick said you can't do it out of foam U.L. reasons. It will be more cost effective doing them out of stainless steel.

Tony Rome

Thanks again. So I talked with the customer and he is going to bypass the lights. We are going to do PVC or aluminum faced foam letters attached directly to the wall (3m tape).
QUESTION: If I just happen to have some PhotoTex laying around is there any negatives to using it to cut a stencil pattern applying PhoteTex to wall, insert letters/logo then just remove PhotTex or is there really an easier way?
Thanks!

henryz

There are many ways of doing this, you could do that or just cut some pattern paper on your plotter. You can take a pattern of the letters/logo place them on it. Take a yard stick put some masking take on it inside out and stick the letters on it in the layout design to place on the wall, not sure if I explained myself right but you'll get the point.

DerbyCitySignGuy

How are you making the dimensional letters? Routed?

Make a template for your plotter using the same file you're using to route the letters. Then it's just a matter of getting your template in the right place and sticking your letters on the wall. Quick and easy.

visualeyez

Yeah just cut the outlines of the letters to scale in cheap vinyl. Then place a horizontal line halfway up through each line of text. Weed the letters out, and apply it to the wall where needed. Tape the letters in place. Now with the split in the vinyl you can easily remove it without worry of pulling up the edge or side of one of the taped letters.

ams

I've installed dozens of these. The letters are opaque and hollow inside, you paint the inside white, then route clear acrylic out of 1/4" acrylic the same letter but a little smaller. Place the LED's to the clear back and push inside the letter can and screw around it, this way the LED's shine in the letter and reflect back at the wall so there are no hot spots. Use thread all studs in the clear acrylic and for the stand offs it's nothing more than a small (usually 1/2") of PVC pipe, distance should always be 1.5" . Screw the thread all into the letters, put the anchor over and put into the wall.