• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Install Experience...

KeithMan

We are a commercial printer that dabbles in large format for a few clients. We rarely do installs, mostly just print and give to businesses who install themselves. We had a University ask us for a quote on replacing a 6x7 foot map screwed to their wall. The previous map was on some type of semi-rigid material, such as a 3/16" board with a nice gloss finish. The only thing that looked kind of bad was that they had screwed it to the wall and the screws were at an angle and not flush, but black screws in a black border weren't too noticeable. They also used two pieces and had a seam in the middle butted together.

I told them we recommended replacing with a new printed board, but noted that we could also just print a decal to apply over it. I did this knowing that since it was bid out, someone else may do this. They jumped on this idea and we printed 6 mil adhesive vinyl and applied it. Of course there were bulges over the screws in the corners and the seam wasn't perfect since we were working with adhesive vinyl and not a direct printed rigid material. The old map we were applying too also flexed a lot during the install as it was only secured at the edge and would bow out from the wall when applying the decal. Overall I thought it looked OK, but of course it had the screws showing and the seam was about a 32nd of an inch. At the time of install the woman whose desk was by it said it looked great.

Two days later I get a call from the purchasing agent saying the woman who said it was great had her boss see it and she flipped out saying it looked hideous. I showed her the email where I had suggested replacing the board, but that she had wanted the cheapest option. She admitted it was a lack of communication between their organization internally, where once of them was worried about price and the other wanted quality above all else. She finally said she didn't really blame us, but wanted to to call and vent. lol I asked what would make her happy at this point and she said she was fine, but didn't know if anything would satisfy her co-worker. She expressed that her co-worker was new and didn't know anything about ordering signs and just figured we would take care of making sure it looked good.

I told her we wouldn't be billing her, as we do other work that they have never complained about, but for different departments and didn't want to jeopardize that. Essentially it seemed she wanted someone to blame and I fit the bill. Regardless it made me feel bad, but didn't really have any option to fix the situation.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I think a lot of us old hands have learned.... here's how it is. I remember when I was way young... probably early twenties, around 40 years ago, I was getting my business feet wet...
I lived in the country and sign work was mixed with painting...
This customer I got from word of mouth wanted a brand new bedroom added to his house painted.
OK- so, no Biggy... have it done in a days time. Then three days then 4 and ugh....
Every day he came home he didn't like the shade of the color and had me paint it again.... on about the 5th day he came home and said it looked great! It was just what he wanted.
I never looked back after that. Why, because I never painted that room a 5th time. I only told him I did.
I charged him for every coat I did, and for the one I didn't do too.
So now, here's your price for a job that will be to the best of my ability. Take it or leave it.

JamesLam

We always have to be careful when negotiating this stuff. Often the client just assumes (lack of knowledge and experience) that we will take care of things assuming that they are no big deal. Often these lapses will save one party but cost the other, we just have to decide which party we want to be. Any of us could be in business for five minutes or 30 years and communication hiccups will still pop up. I suppose the trick is to see it as it unfolds and act accordingly.

Chris Keena

I think a lot of us old hands have learned.... here's how it is. I remember when I was way young... probably early twenties, around 40 years ago, I was getting my business feet wet...
I lived in the country and sign work was mixed with painting...
This customer I got from word of mouth wanted a brand new bedroom added to his house painted.
OK- so, no Biggy... have it done in a days time. Then three days then 4 and ugh....
Every day he came home he didn't like the shade of the color and had me paint it again.... on about the 5th day he came home and said it looked great! It was just what he wanted.
I never looked back after that. Why, because I never painted that room a 5th time. I only told him I did.
I charged him for every coat I did, and for the one I didn't do too.
So now, here's your price for a job that will be to the best of my ability. Take it or leave it.
People are crazy, right? I love this story.

KeithMan

Why not take the existing panels down off the wall, and then apply the new prints at your shop?
I suggested that, but she said the department head was unable to be pleased at this point and said she wanted a different contractor. She said they contacted the next highest bidder, but they said it would be a 3 week delay before they could install. Then today she says that they would go ahead an pay for what we did as it met the specifications for the bid and wasn't our fault.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I suggested that, but she said the department head was unable to be pleased at this point and said she wanted a different contractor. She said they contacted the next highest bidder, but they said it would be a 3 week delay before they could install. Then today she says that they would go ahead an pay for what we did as it met the specifications for the bid and wasn't our fault.

Glad you're getting paid.

I try to bring work into the shop whenever possible. Obviously, some jobs require working on-site, but installing on-site has it's challenges. You mentioned the panel was flexing and bending. A the shop you can lay it on a table, take your time applying the print, and trim around the screw holes really nice & tidy. Plus, being at the shop allows you to answer the phone, check emails, or take a break.

KeithMan

Glad you're getting paid.

I try to bring work into the shop whenever possible. Obviously, some jobs require working on-site, but installing on-site has it's challenges. You mentioned the panel was flexing and bending. A the shop you can lay it on a table, take your time applying the print, and trim around the screw holes really nice & tidy. Plus, being at the shop allows you to answer the phone, check emails, or take a break.
I had suggested they let us bring it back to the shop and apply it using our laminator at no additional charge to them, but they weren't interested. Talking to them I get the feeling it is less about the money and more about venting frustration with their internal system where one person pays, another orders and a third get the finished product. lol

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
personally, i wouldn't have suggested going over existing graphics. it's just asking for trouble. not only will you see any imperfection from that layer, but if that vinyl fails, so does yours. but i get having to work within a client's budget.