• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner edge welders

petepaz

can someone give me a little background info on banner welders?
how do they work?
can you use them on fabric banners?

going to an auction next week and that is one of the available items but really don't know if it would be useful or not due to a lack of knowledge?
looking on line and found some info but wanted to get some input from people who actually use them

Bxtr

can someone give me a little background info on banner welders?
how do they work?
can you use them on fabric banners?

going to an auction next week and that is one of the available items but really don't know if it would be useful or not due to a lack of knowledge?
looking on line and found some info but wanted to get some input from people who actually use them
I'm not sure on the fabric welding, but we purchased a Leister banner welder over 20 years ago for $4,500 and it's still going strong. We've had to replaced parts and get it worked on a few times but it still works well.
The learning curve can be steep but well worth the savings in banner tape and time.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I don't think you can weld most of the sublimated poly materials you're likely looking at. You can use a heat activated adhesive, maybe a HF welding system (common in clothing manufacturing) but people usually just sew them. I'm assuming that you're looking at soft signage, fabric banners, SEG display inserts, pop up photo walls etc. For this stuff in 100% poly and poly spandex blends I believe you're out of luck on welding.

For VINYL only work there are a bunch of posts on the Leister Hemtek St and if you're looking at a stand alone small banner welder this pretty much your best bet. We use ours a lot and it's a bit of a learning curve and a pita to set up if you don't have a permanent table it can live on but it'll rip through banners with beautiful hems once you get the hang of it. I can't remember what we paid but we bought it new from hotairmachines.com or something and during political season when we were doing batches of 100 banners at a time it was a life saver. But again, I do not think this will work on most soft signage.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
What brand of welder is it? If it is an awesome Miller Weldmaster, then you should jump on it. Depending on whether or not it is a hot air or hot wedge will help identify some of the polyester fabrics which weld or not. They are awesome on PVC. Miller machines last forever and are backed by one of the most incredible companies in the industry.