• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner material, Hard on machines at all?

S

scarface

Hey guys, I received my first full roll of banner material today. When i was doing a 2x5' banner, it seemed that the machine was pulling if off the roll as it printed but was wondering if that drag due to the roll being so heavy would be "hard" on the machine at all?

Machines a 30" SP300i and 13oz (30"x164') of ultraflex

Maybe i should unroll X amount prior to printing?

Thanks!

Vicg

Not sure about roland but the mutohs pull the banner stock right thru with no hesitation. also i got busy getting some orders out earlier this week , We use US banner 13oz material and it works awesome it even sews real nice some banner materials when you hem them they seem to get tare type effect each time the needle hit it.

threads1

I worried about that also so I have begun to backroll the material just to take any strain off of the pinch rollers. It's probably not necessary but it makes me feel better. Also, be sure to raise the head height to the upper position.

sjm

A roll of 13oz banner vinyl 30" x 164' weighs about 35lbs. If that falls under the spec of the SP300i's media handling system you should be just fine.

Slamdunkpro

Hey guys, I received my first full roll of banner material today. When i was doing a 2x5' banner, it seemed that the machine was pulling if off the roll as it printed but was wondering if that drag due to the roll being so heavy would be "hard" on the machine at all?

Machines a 30" SP300i and 13oz (30"x164') of ultraflex

Maybe i should unroll X amount prior to printing?

Thanks!

With a full 164' roll unlatch the feed roll brake after you load and align the media. I don't like to use the 164' rolls of Jetflex on my XC540 because the roll diameter is larger than spool guides, so there is a lot more friction on the feed rollers until you spin off about 20 feet.

S

scarface

Just seems the ultraflex sticks more to the roll cause you can hear it peeling as the machine feeds it from the roll.

I'll just unroll X amount each time i need to run banners, no biggie and i'd feel it was safer on my machine.

iSign

Been doing it on my JV3 for about four years. Never gave it a thought, no issues with 54" media.

same here... if they can invent a machine to print photo quality images on sign substrates, with 3 to 5 year outdoor durability, and it is designed to pull media off a roller built into the same machine... why would they not be capable of the simple mechanics required to handle the material feeding mechanism?

FrankenSigns.biz

It is indeed hard on the motor. I used to get motor errors all the time. As the roll get thinner the errors will subside. Back roll the material and you shouldn't have a problem.

S

scarface

It is indeed hard on the motor. I used to get motor errors all the time. As the roll get thinner the errors will subside. Back roll the material and you shouldn't have a problem.

Thought so, I know these machines are made to do this and that but this would go along with feeding mag material through it. You can do it but is it safe for the motor? Hell no

Thanks all!

Just loaded another roll of 13oz 54x150 on my Mutoh today. Weighs about 75lbs, no problems whatsoever. I run this stuff all the time and never had a problem with it.

Mainframe

I run 13oz 54x150 on my vp540 all the time, never had a problem or error, I know the sp is a little different, but if you are running it & no errors, why not do it? I never took the brake off either.