• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner questions

Craig Keller

Can you buy already sewn and grommet banners blank to add vinyl lettering to? Also on printed banners after you print them how and what do you sew then with?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Sure! Why not. Just order a banner with a white box as your artwork.
We don't have a sewing set up. So when we finish our inhouse printed banners, we use banner tape to hem. And we have a grommet setter for the grommets.
Yes, have made odd blank "signs and banners" before. Printed or not, it costs the same.

Last edited:

netsol

Mutoh makes the 1204G that allows their own hemmed and grommetted banners to pass through & be printed

netsol

Sure! Why not. Just order a banner with a white box as your artwork.
We don't have a sewing set up. So when we finish our inhouse printed banners, we use banner tape to hem. And we have a grommet setter for the grommets.
Yes, have made odd blank "signs and banners" before. Printed or not, it costs the same.
I am kind of surprised. You have a flatbed printer, but not a sewing mschine?
I always assume everyone has the different finishing options for banners.

pjfmeister

Sewing Specialties sells great prefinished to spec banners - 314.781.7570
Or prefinished rolls of banner material

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Majority of our in-house printed banners are hemmed with double-sided banner tape and hand grommet. We do have the capability to stitch but reserve that only for pole banners.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I am kind of surprised. You have a flatbed printer, but not a sewing mschine?
I always assume everyone has the different finishing options for banners.
why would someone necessarily have a flat bed and not necessarily a sewing machine? there are so many things to print on a flatbed that have nothing to do with banners.

Salmonboy97

When I was first starting out, I used to buy a roll of banner material that was already finished top and bottom with sewn hemms and grommets. You simply cut it to length, hemmed the ends with hemm tape and punched grommets in the corners, and it was finished!
I dont remember where I bought that roll from, but if you ask your banner supplier company they should be able to send you in the right direction!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
why would someone necessarily have a flat bed and not necessarily a sewing machine? there are so many things to print on a flatbed that have nothing to do with banners.
I kinda thought the same thing. I can't remember the last banner we did on the flatbed. Even being a hybrid, we still do 90% of our banners on our roll to roll printer. The rest are vinyl applique. If we need sewn and nylon webbing, we send it out. Banners are temporary, so we make them that way.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Seriously, banners are the EASIEST things to make and the EASIEST things to make money at. I actually have a google page just for banners. I buy 13 oz banner material, throw it in my printer and print away. I get them out, tape them on top and bottom with banner tape and punch grommets in them. The key is in the setup. (hence set up fees).

if you can't fold a banner and tape it, ya got problems.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Seriously, banners are the EASIEST things to make and the EASIEST things to make money at. I actually have a google page just for banners. I buy 13 oz banner material, throw it in my printer and print away. I get them out, tape them on top and bottom with banner tape and punch grommets in them. The key is in the setup. (hence set up fees).

if you can't fold a banner and tape it, ya got problems.
You don't hem all sides?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The vinyl graphics will cost more than just getting a finished banner from a wholesale printer, and that is before you add the cost of the banner material and finishing costs. Plus, you can drop ship the banner and save the customer the cost of driving across town and picking it up!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've ordered several banners from here and applied graphics...not much the last couple years but sometimes someone insists on a sewn banner. You would need a heavy duty sewing machine which is a bit pricey, not a cheapie from Walmart. I have a real nice one at home that can sew through several layers of blue jean fabric but I never tried it on a banner but I always wanted to. Just buy a blank, it's much easier.