• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner stand failures

DarbySign

I'm working at 100%. Every single retractable banner stand I've sold in the past year has failed on my customers, usually on their first use, and left me looking like an idiot.

I've done my research, tested multiple brands, assembled everything as carefully as possible while following the instructions. Every time I thought I found a brand that would hold up, it's let me down, and I've had to scramble to repair the damage, wasting massive amounts of time and material.

Should I give up on retractable banner stands and refuse to offer them at all? Is there some mystical trick to assembling a stand that a customer can't destroy?

What kind of experiences have you had with pop up banner stands?

HaroldDesign

I've done a couple hundred, and have had zero complaints over the last couple years. I'm using an "economy" stand - nothing special. What is happening with them?

Letterbox Mike

What brand are you selling? I'd suspect you are buying some pretty low-end economy stands without knowing it. A lot of companies sell complete junk and pass them off as good quality stands.

I highly recommend you look into Orbus as a supplier. We were buying stands from several vendors only to have a a large percentage fail. We were turned on to Orbus a few years back and haven't had a failure since. They really sell a top notch product.

tomence

Just buy the expensive ones and you should be good to go. The only problem that i had before is when i bought those cheap chinese things for like $25 or $30. Check the Orbus stands they are high quality and the few that i like are Orbus Imagine, Orbus Barracuda and Orbus Orient. Give them a try and you will see a difference.

DarbySign

The retracting mechanism will jam up completely - at the top or somewhere in the middle. I'm making sure there is plenty of clearance on either side and it's taped on straight. I reinforce the hold on the bottom with power tape that lays completely flat. The material itself isn't too thick.

The top bar lets go and the banner curls up inside the mechanism. The latest ones are the clamp type top bar, I've added double sided banner tape and it still lets go. Then I have to open it up and restore the tension.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I can get a banner stand that will withstand anything you can throw at it, its not cheap like the china crap though.

Call Mark at www.Showbooth.com and let him know I sent you (Josh) his number is 866-746-9266

HaroldDesign

Sounds like the substrate you're using is too thin if the clamp is letting go. I haven't had any jam up. I must be lucky, because I usually use a cheap one (not THE cheapest, but not expensive). I've heard not to use the "Sirius" ones, perhaps that's what you've been using?

anotherdog

There are a variety of stands from both Korea and China that work very well without costing a great deal. There is also a lot of crap also available. We had a bad batch a few years ago, upgraded a level and haven't had one fail in over two years.

Sticking..., the ones we use are held on by double sided tape. if this tape protrudes past the side edge of the banner it can stick or jam in later use (must be trimmed back). We have also seen issues with the clamp at the top; we always use 10oz indoor vinyl, sometimes doubling the width to ensure a good grip when the clamp is closed.

If you are seeing the same issues with different stands it can only be your banner or your install.

Mainframe

Put a couple of staples in, don't trust the tape, I have one of those deep throated staplers for this use, works great, no problems with any stands since I started doing that.

Letterbox Mike

+1 for Orbus. I usually use Sihl Polypropylene for the banner.

How do you like that for these? We use POSpro 200 and I'd love to find a substitute, it prints pretty well but it's stupid expensive and I know there are better alternatives out there, I've just never found anything else that's as consistent.

Sorry to be a :thread

gabagoo

I use the Orients and have had virtually no problems. Even though the orients come with the plastic top rail that can stick to the banner and then slide back into a channel, I prefer to undo the allan keys and make sure it is held in place on the aluminum bar.

I think many failures occur due to customer ignorance. They are to hard on them.

anotherdog

A there is the problem. You are using good quality banner stands with cheap customers.
You need to upgrade.

I get the best stories when people try to return broken ones for a replacement/refund. I have seen one completely smashed with the banner torn in two and the customer says "it fell over".
(it fell over in a gale and went bouncing across a car park when the customer tried to use it outside on a windy day).