• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Tape Recommendation

gplough

I recently used some orabond banner tape for hemming. Wasn't real impressed and it only stuck for a week or so even though I burnished the bejesus out of it... Anyone have a favorite?

Appreciate it!
Greg

rjssigns

We use the banner tape from Signworld. Inexpensive, huge rolls, and works great. No failures. They're a merchant member too.

2B

Budnick Converting
Model: 4965 1IN X 60YD Premium DC Film Polyester

holds up great to high temps, when we were testing we hemmed a banner placed it on the dash of of vehicle during the summer and it held great

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I recently used some orabond banner tape for hemming. Wasn't real impressed and it only stuck for a week or so even though I burnished the bejesus out of it... Anyone have a favorite?...

Did you bother to remove the backing tape? I've been using whatever Oracal calls their banner tap for lo these many years. It's never, as in ever, failed. Ergo it functions just as well as anything else on the market.

Perhaps there's something about your technique that could use improvement. Here's how it's done in this shop...

First mark the back of the banner 2" in for the edge all the way around. We use a 2" wide 4', 6', or 8' aluminum rule.

Do each edge in this order: bottom, sides, top.

For each edge apply the tape to the edge of the banner.

Before you remove the backing tape run down the tape with a squeegee; hard. You want to see an impression of the banner material in the backing tape.

Remove the backing tape and, assuming you're right handed, starting at the right end on the edge you're doing, fold the edge in to the mark you made. Using a brayer, start folding a rolling the edge. Roll along the hem and just slightly up yielding a bit of air egress. You can't apply too much pressure. The trick is you hold the edge sort of like you're rolling a huge cigarette. Get rid of any perturbations in the way the banner lies such that you can hold that U shape that neatly folds over all the way to the end.

Once the hem is folded, the run over it with a squeegee paying particular attention to the edge [i.e. the fold].

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Wow...don't think he asked for a lesson on banner hemming. And by the way...Oracal banner tape DOES suck. We only use Takit. Stickiest stuff there is.

B Snyder

What weight banner material did you use? Regarding Orabond 1395, the Fellers website states "Not recommended for banner materials heavier than 10 oz, for putting material widths together, or for pole-pockets."

bigben

What weight banner material did you use? Regarding Orabond 1395, the Fellers website states "Not recommended for banner materials heavier than 10 oz, for putting material widths together, or for pole-pockets."

I use it on 13oz banner all the time. But I would never use it to make pole pockets.