• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners Across Road

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yup - I did look this up. Found a contact and haven't heard back with a price yet and I need to get moving on this...

Banners are for the city and one-sided 12' long x about 3' high hung between the light posts.

My assumption is 18oz material. The lady told me she has been told they have to have wind slits...I'm not sure if this is true or not? If I order these from Signs365 do they do a good job with the wind slits?
I believe I can print them here and use a coffee can as a template for the wind slits? (that's what I learned in the past forums)

Thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they are going across a road, it's gotta be at least a 30' or 40' span, even for a 2 lane road. You need cables. You cannot tie them off, unless it's for a day or two. Wind slits generally don't help. That's a myth.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If they are going across a road, it's gotta be at least a 30' or 40' span, even for a 2 lane road. You need cables. You cannot tie them off, unless it's for a day or two. Wind slits generally don't help. That's a myth.
Yeah I seem to remember someone made a video about this and the slits ended up weakening the overall structure so much that it offset any benefits to wind reduction.

Stacey K

I like making signs
They will be up about 2-3 weeks for the community picnic.

The city will be hanging them up so I can tell them to use cables. Do they get attached via the grommets or do I need to do a pole pocket banner?

Yes, I heard the wind slits are a myth also

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use the "can method" for wind slits but also hole punch the ends. All ballfield chain link fence banners get about 6 of these
1656523867099.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When the banner is made, have spring clips sewn into the upper and lower hems about every 18". Double, if not triple stitch the hems and use 18oz material. The cables are strung about a foot above and below where you want the banner. The clips will clip over top of the cable. Then, tie off the four corners so the thing doesn't move side to side. Wash line rope works good for that.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hmm...any suggestions who can make these with the sewn hems? I have a real expensive sewing machine but I've never tried to sew banner material.

Signscorp

Hmm...any suggestions who can make these with the sewn hems? I have a real expensive sewing machine but I've never tried to sew banner material.
we use a local upholstery shop. Try looking that up! Ours is incredibly reasonably priced

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Depends. If you have a banner with a bleed, then you need to find someone who can finish it off without messing it up. You'll need to print it, save enough around the edges for them to hem properly. If you're gonna just put die-cut vinyl applique down with some digital prints, just buy one from a banner supply company with your specs.

Johnny Best

Signs365 has HDPE material that does not rip or tear and for outdoors. An awning shop could sew webbing in banner for you, they should have the double stitch.
Signs 365 will heat weld the webbing on for you.

Stacey K

I like making signs
So basically, to keep this simple for myself since she didn't give me much time to figure this out...I can order a double stitched 18oz banner from Blankbanners.com with corner reinforcement and add my own graphics. Then tell them to use cables to connect the banner.

We do have an awning type shop in the area operated by the Amish. My dad waited 6 months for his boat seats to get done so I would need to go there and talk to them, etc. which I don't want to take the time to do this afternoon. But - it's a good idea for me to bring them a sample and see if they can do it and how long of a turn-around these types of things are.

Signscorp

So basically, to keep this simple for myself since she didn't give me much time to figure this out...I can order a double stitched 18oz banner from Blankbanners.com with corner reinforcement and add my own graphics. Then tell them to use cables to connect the banner.

We do have an awning type shop in the area operated by the Amish. My dad waited 6 months for his boat seats to get done so I would need to go there and talk to them, etc. which I don't want to take the time to do this afternoon. But - it's a good idea for me to bring them a sample and see if they can do it and how long of a turn-around these types of things are.
yikes! Yeah we may just be lucky. in our town he's fast and way too cheap. But our stitching jobs are always small and easy so that helps. Even 30 ft banner is like 10 mins of work for them