• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bar Code Software

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
What if any software do you use to make barcodes for inventory and the be able to read them. Been looking and there are so many with free online generators to one that will work within Adobe Illustrator. What software should be used to store and control the actual barcode so when you read them it gives you the information from the bar code.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
What software should be used to store and control the actual barcode so when you read them it gives you the information from the bar code.
Claris FileMaker also can apply machine learning technology and includes voice, signature, and image recognition and is especially handy when using iOS devices. See the 5 minute video...

Claris FileMaker Go iOS Advantages

Happy to answer more questions you might have.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Claris FileMaker also can apply machine learning technology and includes voice, signature, and image recognition and is especially handy when using iOS devices. See the 5 minute video...

Claris FileMaker Go iOS Advantages

Happy to answer more questions you might have.

FlexiSign DOES have a Barcode39 generator and I've been using it the past week HEAVILY as I am dealing with a client who is logging their inventory into a new system. I've been using the Auto Serializing menu under "Arrange" to produce consecutive numbering for their crates and multi-sized bins. Scan shows it works just fine and this project has almost eaten up a roll of 3651RA due to it's size. Good luck!

Christian @ 2CT Media

You can generate barcodes in google sheets and excel or even QR codes.

This would be a simple way to track and log your products with that barcode, then you can make a simple scan sheet to update your lists.

A true database would be best like Filemaker, but free is better and easier.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
2 steps back.

What do you plan on using to read the barcodes?
Mobile phone?
Ipad?
barcode scanner connected to a PC?

Barcodes only store small amount of digits usually 12. up to 48 if using Code 128.

So when scanning a barcode, it's usually a single number.
When scanning, you need to scan in with an app. (which is basically typing in the barcode numbers and pressing enter)

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I use bartender to create various barcodes and QR codes for Illustrator, just print to PDF and you have a vector barcode.
You can also do VDP barcodes and print to multipage PDF's with custom page sizes.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
learning all I can about bar codes right now.. Like do you need a database of the bar codes for the scanner to reference when the bar code is read

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
I print 1000 double sided decals every few months for a car wash, and one side gets a barcode. I just use the font "free 3 of 9". I set them up in Coreldraw. I believe you just need to put an asterisk before and after the number.

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Like do you need a database of the bar codes for the scanner to reference when the bar code is read
Depending on what you're doing with it. In my case my client gets the decals I print, and when they give one to a customer they enter the number on the decal into their system. Then when the decal gets scanned for a wash, their software handles checking to see if it's valid and hasn't expired.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I am playing with File Maker right now and didn't see the bar code option.
Both the barcode generator and the iOS reader app are created in FileMaker. Capture barcodes and / or images using the free FileMaker Go available in the App Store, then connect to your component or inventory FileMaker database either live or sync when you get back from the field, etc.

I spent 20 minutes making this example.

BarcodeCapture.jpg

CanuckSigns

OK, so I've got a bit of experience with barcodes, let me help where I can.

The first thing you need to do is figure out what type or "language" of barcode you need. There are hundreds of different types and they are all formatted differently, it's not universal. Once that is determined, you can decide how to produce the barcode, if it's "code 39" you can use a free code 39 font, but you need to add a * before and after the text. If it's something like a "code 128" there is a whole algorithm involved and you need to use a barcode software, or a translator in conjunction with a font ( I have an excel sheet that does the translation for me)

Coreldraw can create barcodes and QR codes for you, but it's 1 at a time, if you have hundreds or more to do it is worth looking into an automated way, for example you can use print merge with a barcode font and excel to format the text properly.

What you client does with the barcodes after they get them is up to them.

netsol

what did client ask for?
we often print inventory & warehouse location labels for warehouse clients (when they are organizingva new location, changing suppliers, etc.
you'd better find out what the requirements are.
typically, someone is trying to automate inventory, cycle counts, restock, OR has a new requirement to prep orders for a LARGE, MORE SOPHISTICATED CLIENT to receive product

you'd better find out what they need to accomplish.
also, as asked above, what devices will be scanning these codes

IT WOULD BE REALLY SMART to generate a few samples & see how they scan in the actual environment where they are used.