• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bare Drives... the new floppy

weaselboogie

Neat-o! ...............

"If you've upgraded the hard drive in your laptop or desktop machine, then you've got a naked, homeless hard drive sitting around in one of your drawers. Put that puppy to use by plugging it into ThinkGeek's External USB SATA Drive Dock and boom, you've got extra storage without the enclosure.
A professional photographer buddy of ours (who requires massive amounts of storage) uses the Drive Dock the way we used to use floppy drives: He's got dozens of hard drives lying around, and he plugs them into the dock as needed.
At $39.99, buying a Drive Dock (and naked hard drives to go into it) is way cheaper than going the conventional enclosure-bound route, and it takes up less space on your desk."

Attachments

• 0dual_sata_dock.jpg
    0dual_sata_dock.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 115

animenick65

I have one myself. I love the damn thing. With hard drives being so cheap this thing is a dream. Can hot swap any drive and put it into storage.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thank you thank you thank you for posting... I have 4 old drives I just haven't had the time to get stuff off yet... this will be great.

TheSnowman

Oh wow, yea, if for nothin' else, that's great for when you have a computer die, and you need to just pull the files over, it's normally a PITB rippin' your computer open and hooking it up, then you are like me, and get the ribbon confused. Thanks!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This is not as pretty, but worked for me when I needed to get into my old drives.

I feel a little uneasy using a 5-15 year old drive as an extra drive but worked when my old PowerMac died.

slipperyfrog

I have dreaded going through old hard drives and wiping them clean before getting rid of them.

Just the cheap, easy thing I needed.

Border

That puppy will work great for all my recording session files. I have lots of hard drives full of archived stuff that I don't need to use very often, but when I do, I have to remove some other hard drive in my systems to make room. I really like the hot-swap part, thanks!

TheSnowman

Yea, Microbarn was about $7 cheaper, for those who care. At least for me it was, not sure how shipping is for everyone else.

Sabre

I have 3 of these scattered through some of my computers. Same idea as the original post, but keeps another part off my already cluttered desk. This particular one does not use usb at all, although they might make a variant that does.
Startech Hotswap Bay

Although handy, I wouldn't say they are what eliminated the need for the floppy. The flash drive on the other hand...
:)

Last edited:

OldPaint

Heck, I'll just buy a new drive and use it. Internals are a lot cheaper.
HEY...PAY ATTENTION....this is a docking station for an INTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!!!!!!!
and you say it is HOT SWAPPABLE? and i like it having the drive EXPOSED, has better cooling then having the drive in a another case.......

jiarby

Remember that xfering loads of data through that teensie USB port is gonna take forever compared to one actually attached to the SATA or IDE bus.

The white one cute but we use a kit that works with IDE or SATA to USB2 for this kind of thing. I use removable drive caddys (one is IDE, one is SATA) that connect directly to the internal bus for removable backups.

Attachments

• DSCN5301.jpg
    DSCN5301.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN5302.jpg
    DSCN5302.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 75

jiarby

Alphonse...

I have never had an external drive enclosure that did not fail. Either the P/S goes out or the drive overheats. I am not a fan of portable external HDD enclosures...they are ticking time bombs waiting to blow up your data.

TheSnowman

HEY...PAY ATTENTION....this is a docking station for an INTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!!!!!!!
and you say it is HOT SWAPPABLE? and i like it having the drive EXPOSED, has better cooling then having the drive in a another case.......

Hey OP, I was payin' attention, I think it's you that is a little lost. I said...
Heck, I'll just buy a new drive and use it. Internals are a lot cheaper.
I meant, instead of buying an external HD for my computer (in my head I'm talking about my laptop) I'll just buy an INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, and fit it so that it works like an EXTERNAL, and it will be WAY CHEAPER than buying one that's enclosed. Since it won't be moving, it'll work. Hopefully that cleared you up.