• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best board for 8'x16' metal frame?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I really appreciate the help I've received in previous questions. I have another one though!

I just got deposit on a job today, it's a non-lit sign that's in a 8'x16' metal frame about 20' high. I plan on using cut vinyl and some digital print.

The previous panels were (4) 4'x8' MDO all lined up together, with small 2" or 3" metal brackets that connected the boards together in the middle. (See attached pictures). The previous wood panels rotted out and eventually fell during a good wind.

My question is what do you thing would be a strong panel to use? Should I use wood as they did or something metal? Do you think the metal "tabs" were a good idea? If not what would you suggest?

Thanks for you time reading this!

Attachments

• 20170111_111527.jpg
    20170111_111527.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 20170111_103454.jpg
    20170111_103454.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 324

TXFB.INS

since the frame is already made then we would use strips of alum 080 maybe 063 and then use pop rivets to secure the strips to the sign.

if we were building from the initial layout then we would have vertical & horizontal supports and then use dibond on each side so the frame is hidden.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like the strips idea, sounds better then little tabs. I was thinking of using 10mm Alumacorr instead of wood for the main boards. What are your thoughts?

TXFB.INS

personally I like the solid core panels over the fluted panels. since you are doing this with a single panel 2 sided application make sure that the substrate is as rigid as possible

if you go with the Alumacorr or Lusterboard make sure you use edge caps

Sign Panel Products | Laminators Inc.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
personally I like the solid core panels over the fluted panels. since you are doing this with a single panel 2 sided application make sure that the substrate is as rigid as possible

if you go with the Alumacorr or Lusterboard make sure you use edge caps

Sign Panel Products | Laminators Inc.

You'd go with 080?

Double sided? How are the panels fastened at the edge?
Yes, double sided. Not sure how they did fasten them before.. but last one I did like this I screwed the panels into the metal frame, then closed the frame and it kind of sandwhiched the boards in as well.

Billct2

Is there a flange to fasten to? I can't tell how it works from the photo.
In any case I'd use 6mm ACM or 1/4" Alumalite with some type of batten

Billct2

If the customer could be talked into doing it right I would add the vertical supports and do it as two faces instead of one double side face.
But I can almost guarantee that wouldn't happen. Just look at the shape the old panels were in before they fell down.

petrosgraphics

i would use 6mm DiBond panels with at least 2" vertical strips behind the *panels, pop rivet the panels to the frame using #64 lg flange rivets, also fabricate a retainer to go around the perimeter of the fame.*

blufftonsignguy

I think I would use the alumacore panels with tabs riveted to the panels. It doesn't seem like much but 20' in the air your going to get some wind up there.