• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best choice for a color

DRPSignsNGrafix

OK sorry I have been asking for so much help lately. But I got out of the business for 6 years and have not got back into it. I will once again start helping others in return. However I'm coming to all you "Color Gods" out there. Have a brand new Mimaki CJV150-130 with CYMKmckO Running Flexi 19 also have Raster 6 has rip software. Going to be printing on Avery 1105 Gloss. I am needing to print the brightest Pink and Yellow possible. Can you tell me your recommendation for best one to choose. I need to be like fluorescent which I know is not happening with this setup. But I know we can get bright out of it. I do not have an Xrite yet..... I have not done any kind of calibration to prints. I have a pantone chart file I can print. I printed it on another material and WOW the colors are off. I do know that every material and every profile is different. I am trying to catch up on my learning of color management. So anything any can advise for me today would be great. I have to print these on Thurs. Want the brightest possible and best outcome. I chose 806C cause that's pantone's color for fluorescent pink. But yeah it's magenta. LOL

Now also as I'm reading thru things when I get the free min (never seems to be any) what is your recommendation for getting printer and monitor calibrated to each other. Thank you so much. I have missed all my wonderful knowledgeable people here.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

DRPSignsNGrafix

I planned on printing some swatches when the material gets here. But was hoping maybe some input on what color people have printed in the past that were bright so I know where to start choosing swatches from. I have the Avery profiles downloaded and ready to go for it as well.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No idea on if using Rasterlink 6 (we have it too but I've never installed it) but if using Flexi get a good profile configured for the media. Then in your design make sure you are using RGB mode (or Pantone solid coated colors if needed) and in RGB mode assign and use the Adobe RGB 1998 color profile for files. CMYK has a considerably smaller gamut than Adobe 1998 RGB mode. Your printer and inks are capable of a far greater range of color than what a CMYK file will allow.... In Flexi Color Settings make sure to set the assumed input profile for RGB to Adobe 1998 as well.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Brightest yellow I use is is Pantone 102 C. Agree that you're best bet would be to print your own chart.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
CMYK has a considerably smaller gamut than Adobe 1998 RGB mode. Your printer and inks are capable of a far greater range of color than what a CMYK file will allow
You have a misunderstanding. You've specified the RGB color space as Adobe RGB (1998) but you haven't specified any CMYK color space.

The OP has the option to use an optimal RGB working space and an optimal CMYK working space. Especially in the OP's case of a "new" machine and installation, the system RIP should be supplied with the "Wide Mimaki CMYK" ICC profile. That profile should offer a significant amount of some colors beyond Adobe RGB (1998) as does any optimal CMYK profile for modern inkjet printers.

Consider the fact that the machine can only use CMYK (and more) inks for any and all colors. A CMYK profile can be made for that condition and that profile is an option to use.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I did not mention the CMYK color space because that will already be there and most likely set to the Flexi default of US Web Coated SWOP. I'm only pointing out that the default profiles (particularly US Web Coated SWOP CMYK) is a terrible input profile with a very limited gamut. Color experts as yourself, are much more aware of the various differences. From my experience though, most seem to think that the CMYK inks in their machine has some correlation to (the default) CMYK colors in design software when in fact, as you mention the CMYK inks in our machines are capable of a far greater range of color than US SWOP allows for and many still today think that the default CMYK settings are good. We started making all of our own profiles years ago (old i1 pro), use NEC PA monitors, and optimised our processes for Adobe RGB 1998 since many of our clients in house design departments can be instructed to use that profile. One of the best decisions we made as most anyone else is going to sens us files that are SWOP CMYK, Pantone spot colors, sRGB, or no embedded profile. The Adobe RGB profile can hit the majority of all of those without any problem. https://www.mimakieurope.com/blogs/wild-format-guide-colour-management-basics/

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I did not mention the CMYK color space because that will already be there and most likely set to the Flexi default of US Web Coated SWOP.
Still misunderstanding. It's the "Wide Mimaki CMYK" profile that should be there for the OP to use. I assume the new machine ships with the profile and is installed in the RIP(s). OP says he has two RIPs. The Mimaki profile represents the machine, not SWOP, not Adobe RGB.

I recommend an RGB workflow as well, however it should be known the wide CMYK profiles offered by the machine makers have provided an extremely useful and accommodating profile for CMYK workflows.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
@ SightLine
Please know that I'm trying clear some confusion and misunderstanding for any reader and that there is a very similar conversation currently in another thread.

CMYK has a considerably smaller gamut than Adobe 1998 RGB mode. Your printer and inks are capable of a far greater range of color than what a CMYK file will allow....
The above statement is not accurate and misleading. A designer can use the appropriate CMYK profile as the design working space and achieve ALL the color range of the printer. In this case of a new printer and install, it's likely safe to say the "Wide" version offered by the mfr will provide a very good starting point. It should be far more preferable as opposed to Adobe RGB, especially in this case of yellow and maybe pink.

Although the Adobe RGB (1998) is a rather wide gamut, it is a display profile with a very different shape than the printer. The US Web Coated SWOP CMYK is an output profile and represents a machine rather different than the OP's. The "Wide Mimaki CMYK" is an output profile and should, in theory, actually represent the OP's setup as a start, therefore providing more trustworthy results.

See the attached image. The wireframe is the Adobe RGB (1998) space, the color is EpsonWideCMYK in this case. (I do not yet have the wide Mimaki profile for comparison.) The Epson space shows more color potential in yellows and some others.

Attachments

• exampleEpsonWideCMYKvsAdobeRGB(1998).jpg
    exampleEpsonWideCMYKvsAdobeRGB(1998).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 194