• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best CNC machine for making ADA signs?

tedshock

Greetings from a newbie to the forum but not at all to the sign industry.

Keeping my first post semi-brief, I am looking to find a better CNC machine to make ADA signs. Currently I use a very slow, very outdated Gerber Dimension 200 E. It's great for making these signs but it's very very slow. The vacuum hold down is a huge plus. So I'm looking to upgrade, but I am looking to do so on a budget of no more than $6000-$8000 if possible (and used equipment is fine, so long as it's not something that is no longer supported by the manufacturer, like this machine).

I would like the following options ideally:
-Faster than the D200E (I'm guessing just about any machine)
-Vacuum hold down
-Table size of at least 16 x 24, and ideally the ability to take longer pieces via pull through (like the D200E).
-Ability to have the raster insertion tool option (currently I have a license for the pen that is used on the D200E).
-Ability to cut both acrylic backgrounds (1/8" non-glare, for example) as well as 1/8" Rowmark/Duets material (we can swap out the engraver on our D200E with a router motor for cutting backgrounds, but again, it's sloooow).
-Not looking for laser machines (from what I found out at tradeshows, they cannot be used for braille and it ends up being a 2-stage process, with using a laser and a rotary machine in tandem, something I do not wish to do at this time).

What are some of the better machines out there that can meet these options/requirements? What are ones to avoid? What are problematic ones that have parts availability issues?

I have read about the Vision machines, but from what I have seen they do not have a vacuum hold down option. I have also heard of issues with the braille insertion tool option not lining up with drilled holes, and causing nightmares for braille insertion. I have also tried searching the forum as a whole, but it seems like narrowing down a search/thread to what I am specifically looking for above has not yielded satisfactory results.

Thank you in advance (and moderators, if this was posted in the wrong section I apologize).

tedshock

Thanks for the reply JBurton. I will contact Gravograph tomorrow. I did see the machines on their site, but oddly did not see anything about an option for a beefier spindle, auto bead inserter, or vacuum table so hopefully a call to them will get me that information. But thanks for a potential lead and responding to my query!

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We have been running a Vision 1624 for the last 15 years. Machine has been pretty bulletproof. No vaccuum table but i don't think it is necessary at all. We have what they call a 'multi mat' on the aluminum deck. It is a rubber type mat that is sticky, holds the signs in place as they are having the ADA graphics or braille cut. You can fit quite a few typically sized signs on the table at once so if you butt them together they are really locked in place, we don't have any issues with signs moving while engraving the tactile lettering. We also have a raster braille license but do not put the pen on the machine for insertion. We have found it is more reliable to just apply the balls by hand. The operator has a lot of time to do braille as the machine is working on a table full of engraving. The vision software isn't the best but we have made it work well for us.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Vision systems are a pretty good fit for the budget and application.
Looking to do too much with one thing is common .
We see many customers look to upgrade their larger cutting tables with braille options.
For mass production, there are specific platforms for that.
Intermediate quantities on certain machines require measures include drilling the holes, disabling spindles to use the raster insertion tool.
Its a lot of machine time better spent on other jobs.
Like some of the above opinions, let the machines make the holes and any number of hands can use the raster insertion tools manually.

If you really want a vacuum table, you can always drill holes in something you didnt pay a lot for and gasket the bottom of the table with an inlet for a blower motor with a variable control.
Just don't forget to have a filter.

tedshock

Thanks Raum! I'm concerned about doing a "DIY" vacuum table, as it's not something we have ever done. And with the cost of used machines out there right now, not sure we want to take the chance. But we're definitely leaning towards not getting the auto braille tool, as it seems like that is going to be more headaches than using the pen.