• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Glass Glue

compasscutter

Compass Cutter
laser cut stainless steel lettering 3mm thick and overall size of each letter about 300mm, note it will be out doors but in a covered over area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now, here is where you tell me to shut up and mind my own business, but why on earth are you attaching 12" high metal letters to glass ?? That's what paint and vinyl are for. At that size, you'l need studs, pads and more than glue. Show us a picture of where this practice has already taken place.

Billct2

I've done it with smaller letters, used vhb. I would think vhb would work, but maybe Moze or another member has done them that large wold know.
One think, you should cut a reverse version of the letters in vinyl to block it out from the back

compasscutter

Compass Cutter
It is a glass building and the client wants 3 stainless steel laser cut letters as the sign, and want them stuck on glass
Now, here is where you tell me to shut up and mind my own business, but why on earth are you attaching 12" high metal letters to glass ?? That's what paint and vinyl are for. At that size, you'l need studs, pads and more than glue. Show us a picture of where this practice has already taken place.

compasscutter

Compass Cutter
I've done it with smaller letters, used vhb. I would think vhb would work, but maybe Moze or another member has done them that large wold know.
One think, you should cut a reverse version of the letters in vinyl to block it out from the back

Yes i did have that in mind to hide the adhesive, i am planing to stick the vinyl first so i got a template on the outside to align the letters

Devcnc

VHB tape would suffice for this application, it only 3mil letters. make sure suface is cleaned before applying to backs of letters
VHB tape would that work on dibond and 6mm Acrylic for a office sign?. we did one with 3m tape and the 6mm Acrylic fell off 3 days after it was installed . or some type of glue hope we don't get anymore of these haha .

JBurton

Signtologist
Will these be visible from the opposite side? That's going to look like garbage if/when rain does manage to run down them. Look into 'mounting adhesive', 3m makes a fine product, 467MP, but it's a bit pricey if you're not incorporating it into a workflow. Do not buy it off amazon, it will be wrecked. Comes in widths up to 48" or more. This will only work well if the parts are actually flat and not warped at all.

why on earth are you attaching 12" high metal letters to glass ??
Cause the guy with the checkbook is asking for it...

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We did something similar when we needed to attach some RPC aluminum letters to glass front building for a customer. We bonded full letter backs to the windows with smaller pieces of a specific VHB tape and used window glazing silicone specifically made for bonding windows. The area of the building where the sign went was not visible from the inside so we didn't have to worry about seeing the back. I would be scared to try and remove those letters if they were only VHB taped to windows. They would be very close to the glass and difficult to cut off. We used a thicker tape (or maybe two layers, I can't remember) so we had a good thickness of silicone. I believe there was a minimum thickness of silicone called out by the manufacturer. This enable us to wire cut the backers off 5 years later when they moved locations.

brdesign

I once had a job that required aluminum stand offs mounted to glass. The company I worked for at the time was right next to a windshield repair shop, and they got some the adhesive they use to mount the rear view mirrors on the windshields. I'm sure the glass windows will break before those stand offs come loose.

Moze

Precision Sign Services

I've installed a number of these on high end offices and it looks really nice. A bit higher end than paint or vinyl.

This is exactly how it's done. Vinyl is cut to the same exact shape as the numbers, letters or logo and applied to the glass. The dimensional letters etc are then installed with VHB tape to the vinyl.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
A couple of examples...

This had 2nd surface privacy vinyl so the tape etc would have still been visible. So vinyl was installed first then the letters on the vinyl.

Screenshot_20230310-161300.png

These aluminum letters were tape mounted then reversed letters were installed on the inside to help cover up the backs.

Screenshot_20230310-161013.png

Screenshot_20230310-161033.png