• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best high resolution printer

whatsinaname

What would be the best printer in terms of high resolution sharpness and color gamut. We are looking for our first printer for our wraps business and will be printing a lot of intricate graphics and text. Already tested Epson S40600 and still not convinced by the sharpness and resolution of the test samples although the colors were pretty good. What next should we demo? An Epson resin printer?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
What would be the best printer in terms of high resolution sharpness and color gamut. We are looking for our first printer for our wraps business and will be printing a lot of intricate graphics and text. Already tested Epson S40600 and still not convinced by the sharpness and resolution of the test samples although the colors were pretty good. What next should we demo? An Epson resin printer?
I have an HP 315. We are a full service autowrap and sign shop. we do A LOT of printed wraps. I love the quality that it prints. Latex ink, print heads and inks are consumables. It's a work horse. Ive had mostly user error problems with it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Unless you simply got some bad samples (or you sent shitty files) you need to recheck your expectations. It's large format printer. Epson is already in the good category it's not getting much better.
Also you say for wraps but wraps are being looked at from a distance for few seconds. It's perfect for it.

unmateria

Is not all about the machine... You have to know all the process, from alignment, heights, machine adjust, room adjust, materials, linearization, profiling (and profiling to archive x), rip, best way to prepare files for that rip... S40600 is not the best machine, but in well use, you wont find much difference with better machines.

I assume you are looking to print high quality photos on paper too? Then dont look for outdoor printers. Look for a water based machine with less drop width (pl). But again, if you dont know to calibrate it, no machine will be perfect for perfect results.

Btw... If you want to print labels too, buy a label printer. But for car wraps... Look at the cheap sr1641 pro with ms51 inks. We have one from a year ago and works really good (and Its a dream to adjust it all)

With any 1440ppp machine if you cant read a 6pt text, adjust the machine (or because of my age, my eye lenses lol)

whatsinaname

Unless you simply got some bad samples (or you sent shitty files) you need to recheck your expectations. It's large format printer. Epson is already in the good category it's not getting much better.
Also you say for wraps but wraps are being looked at from a distance for few seconds. It's perfect for it.
Sorry my bad...it's actually Electronic devices decals..like laptop decals, gaming devices decals or wraps etc.. where the designs would be viewed at a very close angle.. that's the reason I was stressing on the resolution and sharpness...

unmateria

Take a look to Primera equipment for that (Lx610p print and kisscut) or a photographic wide format printer+poliéster decals. Try first if you want with an used epson 4880 (or one of that series... Are dirty cheap and can print poliéster with extreme resolution and colours)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah I'd get a second sample maybe from a different Epson dealer. A calibrated Epson should be top notch quality. Also, keep in mind that, no matter how high resolution a printer you print with, it won't improve a low resolution image.