• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best host and registrar?

slipperyfrog

Just wondering what all of your take is on this question. Who do you like the best for hosting and registering domain names? Any feel good or horror stories from those you have used.

Your input is appreciated.

Locals Find!

I use domainspricedright for both my hosting and registar. They are a godaddy reseller and they pricing is a bit cheaper than godaddy direct.

I never understood having hosting separate from your registar. Just doesn't make any logical sense to me as they are two different setups entirely and you have to deal with two different sets of customer service.

2NinerNiner2

@adtechia

Absolutely no issues having them both. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. That's what bookmarks are for :) ... and use the same login credentials :) In over 7 years, have never had to contact GD for customer service on a domain :)

Go Daddy is damn hard to beat for domains; I can buy the complete "set" (COM, NET, INFO, ORG, etc.), including CA all in one shot; something that cannot be done with a lot of hosting providers that offer domains, especially the CA :)

But GD's hosting control "panel" sucks the big one IMHO, which is why I switched to HG and BH. Plus, GD's database setup is lame; takes an inordinate amount of time to set up (READ: is not immediate and does not use phpMyAdmin, as do the other two mentioned, or any other host that uses cPanel).

I guess if one is just buying one domain and putting up a non-database driven site (HTML as opposed to Joomla!, WordPress, Drupal, etc.) then yeah, go for it :)

slipperyfrog

I have been using GD for registering and hosting. I like the registering as it is really easy. I would agree with 2NinerNiner2 regarding their control panel. I think it sucks balls. Hence the reason I have put up this question looking for alternatives and experiences.

njshorts

www.hostingdirect.net - been there for 4 years. had domains at godaddy and hostgator, both oversell beyond their limits, slowing down service for everyone on the server. i still use godaddy as a registrar, though.

Last edited:

JoshLoring

Hover or Godaddy for domain registration.
If you have the money- Media Temple http://mediatemple.net/ for hosting. I have my own upgraded server, close to 200$ month where I host my clients websites for a monthly fee. As my client hosting grows, I upgrade the server. You can't beat the service. Also, look at the clients they host -Media Temple is the premier hosting company in the US.

slipperyfrog

Thanks for all the replies and help. My brother mentioned this morning that he has had great luck with HostGator. I think I'll give them a try and just use GoDaddy for register.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Love Hostgator for hosting. They have great support. GoDaddy is great for domains. Use a coupon code. Just Google Godaddy Coupon Codes - I use "scam10" for .com's

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'm with godaddy and have about 18 sites that I work on and/or own. Use them for both hosting and registrar and don't think I've had a problem in the 6 or 7 years I've dealt with them.

I like the fact that their uptime is pretty much 100% - I don't use their control panel much and the database delay doesn't bother me so much. Used to be with hostingsolutions DOT com from almost the beginning and had all the above sites over there. First couple years were great. Then downtime started... and finally I got mad enough to move my personal sites and recommend my customers do the same. Quickest route was godaddy so I moved 'em there.

Then one day about a year ago a customer called. His site was down and hosting solutions had just disappeared. Talk about a nightmare - we had to rebuild the site without anything from the other server. yes - had copies on computer but not a backup of the blog.

So lesson is to choose a company that will be there in 10 years... don't go just by price and back up your online databases to a computer regularly :smile:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Been using Godaddy for registrar for years and using Site5 for hosting for years with zero issues.

Jim Hill

The best host and service I have found is a company called Page Buzz.

When you need help and call them you are talking to the person who created it.

That type of service is very hard to find these day's

BigDawg I cannot image running 18 web sites.

I have my hands full running one between filling orders and adding new products and creating new items.

Jim Hill

Bigdawg

Just Me
They aren't all active Jim! And most of them just sit there and when their owners get around to it - they yell at me to update them. That would be a full-time job in itself if they all updated regularly like they should