• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best ink / paint for upholstery vinyl ?

SignEx

We have a school with a vinyl pad at end of gym, under basketball goal ,
The pad is made of upholstery vinyl attached to wall ,approx 6ft by 8ft,
They want school name, mascot applied to vinyl,
My first thought was nazdar vinyl ink but wondered if possibly one shot paint or etc might work,
I had planned on cutting stencil and somehow painting onto material,
Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks mark

Billct2

Just thinking about vinyl ink gives me a headache...but that's probably what would work.

TammieH

Agreed, Vinyl ink only, Multi-Purpose Ink is not the same as it use to be, you could try using 1Shot's 4003 clear, (I believe this use to be Chromatic's Waterborne Primer) then letter with 1Shot, but but if its something that someone sits on, it may crack

You could not use the vinyl ink at the school though, at least I would not recommend it.

soundhound

I would spray vinyl paint

It sounds like something we do occasionally. There are terrific vinyl spray dyes/paints at the auto supply... our favorite is SEM which also has the best range of colors.

Just cut a mask and keep the vinyl dye/paint as thin as you can so it wont crack. Also, to get a crisp edge, get the mask off quickly but pull it following the edge.

I recently found small spray cans of leather/vinyl dye at the cobbler shop, and noted that they have some colors the others do not. Have not tried the product yet.

SignEx

Thanks for input and suggestions, I will probably go with the gv vinyl ink,was hoping there might be alternative to the nazdar ink, I'm doing it in the shop so I will be the only one having to smell the fumes, dig out respirator and hope it drys fast,

thanks mark