• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Light Temperature for Accurate Color

We are setting up a new work area and need to replace the old overhead fluorescent lighting. Any thoughts on the best temperature LED for color proofing accuracy?

Last edited:

Joe House

The "standard" for print profiling and proofing is D50. But it would ultimately depend on where your work will be displayed. If most of your work will be displayed outside - car wraps, outdoor signage, etc. - then I woiuld go with D65 myself. If you really want accuracy in color matching, then getting a proofing booth would be worth the investment. It's not just the lights in the area, but also the surrounding environment will impact how you perceive color.
But is is good that you're thinking about this now. I've been in print shops that have 3 or 4 different colors of lamps in their fixtures, so color matching visually is a real crap shoot.

Good Luck

OPENSignsInc.

It really depends on where the product will end up if you're checking color w/o a spectrometer. But if its just to see imperfections, we run daylight (5200-5500K) T5 bulbs in our shop. It just to helps to see the smaller imperfections (as it is a brighter light than cool white). We'll probably change them out to LED eventually too, but we put them in 2-3 years ago and they're still going.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
We went cheap on LEDs. They tend spread the light unevenly. Okay for a break room or work area other than printing.
:welcome: 2 :signs101smilie: from OK

GB2

Old Member
You need 5000 to 6500 but more importantly you need a Color Rendering Index (CRI) rating of 95 or more for accurate color.