• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Plotter for 21mil MX Graphics

GiveUsSigns

Our sheets are 30” x minimum of 60”. If I cut them into two sheets per kit, I’m throwing away even more money.

I definitely am lacking trust in my S2T lately. It’s ****ed up almost as much as it’s done right. Yea, maybe user error, guess I should’ve bought it from a company who knew more about it, who could maybe help me get past it.

Leaning towards finding a flatbed next year. Only thing I trust the Summa for is kisscut. I set up for flex cut tonight, followed their setup video exactly, as it never seems to work for me, and thought i had it perfect. Walked away and came back to a mangled mess. Fml, another reprint.
------------------------------

So, A couple things with our cutting Substance. Substance is good stuff. It is thick and robust.
I have been using Substance X1 vinyl and Ultra laminate. 30"x150'
We are cutting and printing both horizontally and vertically
or Hamburger and Hot dog,
or Portrait and Landscape

So, First,
As it cuts through the vinyl/lam (6/10) I slowly pick up slivers and waste on the blade and the blade collar. Eventually, It gets so full of stuff that it effects the depth/pressure of the blade and cut and does not cut through as far as it did at the start. I have peeled off a substantial amount of waster from the blade area. Also, as it progresses through the cut, it cuts less deeper and deeper. So getting to the end. Weeding is much more difficult to pull the stickers out. We loaded some 6/15 and it did the same thing with the waste pick up.
We do use the 45degree double wedge blade and it seems to cut pretty well other that the waste accumulation.

Second:
For some reason, the cut accuracy is shifted every time I cut. I had the tech on the phone and couldn't quite figure out what was causing it. He looked at my files, my cut file etc.
Everything was good there, but when it goes to the Summa to cut, it is off. Shifted a bit right and up. or just right. It is completely baffling.
If anybody has a solution or has seen this, chime in.

I am heading up to Airmark tomorrow with my full head unit for a calibration cut and whatever else they can figure is wrong.
This is my final test for my Substance cutting.
At this point, I still can not cut customers offroad graphics successfully and accurately.
I have large bruise on my head now from banging it on the wall.
Wish us luck at Airmark tomorrow.
Cut away we go.

Wrap Colorado

Wrap Colorado
------------------------------

So, A couple things with our cutting Substance. Substance is good stuff. It is thick and robust.
I have been using Substance X1 vinyl and Ultra laminate. 30"x150'
We are cutting and printing both horizontally and vertically
or Hamburger and Hot dog,
or Portrait and Landscape

So, First,
As it cuts through the vinyl/lam (6/10) I slowly pick up slivers and waste on the blade and the blade collar. Eventually, It gets so full of stuff that it effects the depth/pressure of the blade and cut and does not cut through as far as it did at the start. I have peeled off a substantial amount of waster from the blade area. Also, as it progresses through the cut, it cuts less deeper and deeper. So getting to the end. Weeding is much more difficult to pull the stickers out. We loaded some 6/15 and it did the same thing with the waste pick up.
We do use the 45degree double wedge blade and it seems to cut pretty well other that the waste accumulation.

Second:
For some reason, the cut accuracy is shifted every time I cut. I had the tech on the phone and couldn't quite figure out what was causing it. He looked at my files, my cut file etc.
Everything was good there, but when it goes to the Summa to cut, it is off. Shifted a bit right and up. or just right. It is completely baffling.
If anybody has a solution or has seen this, chime in.

I am heading up to Airmark tomorrow with my full head unit for a calibration cut and whatever else they can figure is wrong.
This is my final test for my Substance cutting.
At this point, I still can not cut customers offroad graphics successfully and accurately.
I have large bruise on my head now from banging it on the wall.
Wish us luck at Airmark tomorrow.
Cut away we go.
Sorry to hear. We have tons of issues with it, but I cut 4 kits yesterday, and aside from accuracy issues, the kits are fully acceptable. Just for how much money spent on this cutter to be told it can do something, it doesn’t do it well, and too much time is spent picking up the slack by hand. Hopefully you can make it happen with them. Bring a kit printed and laminated with files and tell them to cut it. I would love to hear how that goes. Would go to show how much “user error” is in play vs machines lack of ability. It’s easy to blame it on the machine, I just wish I had a reason not to.

GiveUsSigns

So, after spending all day at Airmark, and them running tests, which failed them also.
The tests they did were also shifting as the laminated vinyl moved up on the Summa.
Though, The 45 degree double wedge blade worked very well.

They ended up replacing my "pressure head" AND my "main board" in my cutter. Apparently I got a bad machine. They said it doesn't happen often, but, well, it happened to me. So they did take care of it.

With Christmas yesterday, we didn't cut anything, but are going to later today.
They did suggest to utilize a small run out table on both sides if possible when running the mx graphics to help alleviate the weight of the Substance combo materials. That is an easy and cheap fix. So I will try it.
With the Summa priced at about $6k and Summa flatbed priced about $50k more than that. I will try anything.
I did see the Summa flatbed in action, and, well, it will cut/route anything. It is awesome. They were routing out a 1/4" aluminum face Dibond sheet when we were there.
Just as you are, The Summa flatbed is not quite in my playbook yet.
So, off we go to cut again, with pretty much new cutting hardware.
I will update our outcome after my eleventyth test cut after adjustments. It is wearing on
me, but I saw some light at the end of the cut tunnel.

Last edited:

joelswork

I had some
Crazy thick material that I needed to run on my S2. And it was a huge roll that was rolled backwards from normal vinyl. The solution was to mount a table top roller on the weeding table and fabricate a 10” wide out feed table for the output side. That backing was the slickest thing I ever felt (other than an iPhone). 120,000 1.2” circles and I was done in 10 hours total... $7000 job. Trying my best to keep a promise when all others have failed leads to redneck innovation