• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best practices for removing low adhesive vinyl on painted walls?

Andrew Hodgson

Hello, my company uses 3M 40C for almost all temporary branding installs. The graphics are generally up for ~3 days. We sometimes have issues with the vinyl taking off small areas of paint, or wood finish. What are some best practices when installing and removing vinyl?

Currently, we are doing the following:
- Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol/water mix using lint-free rags
- Use a heat gun to loosen the vinyl
- Pull the vinyl from a corner holding it against the wall while pulling it down/off.

Any other tips for removing vinyl?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Seriously, any wall graphics project needs to have paint damage as a possible issue and absolving you from reprocussions in your contract.

Also 40c is not a low tack adhesive.

flyplainsdrifta

id still be careful pulling up phototex/fabritac/walltux off of painted drywall tho. i once, like an idiot showing off new stuff, slapped it on a 3 month old painted drywall and proceded to be like "dude check this out no residue!". well, no paint/drywall either. i ripped it off yanked a fair amount of paint off. so just dont rip it off is guess is the moral of that story. lucky it was my own house and not a custy's wall.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have had Mojave Sign Ad up in the lobby for over 5 years and can still peel it off without peeling any paint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A great deal of your.... or anyone's problem of removing vinyl is, what is the surface it's adhered to, condition ?? Drywall, wood, metal, painted with what kinda paint, porous surface, non porous surface, glass and the conditions go on. Removing any vinyl off of any non porous substrate is always gonna be scary. Also, using alcohol to prep certain substrates is not always a good idea. There's no one theory fits 'em all, just like you're finding out there's no one kinda vinyl to do cheap jobs.

Rather than trying to find a 'fix' for removing the stuff, find the right material to start the job, so it ends well.

Hello, my company uses 3M 40C for almost all temporary branding installs. The graphics are generally up for ~3 days. We sometimes have issues with the vinyl taking off small areas of paint, or wood finish. What are some best practices when installing and removing vinyl?

Currently, we are doing the following:
- Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol/water mix using lint-free rags
- Use a heat gun to loosen the vinyl
- Pull the vinyl from a corner holding it against the wall while pulling it down/off.

Any other tips for removing vinyl?
Photo Tex Self-Adhesive will not cause any issues upon removal at any time as long as the wall primed and painted . Happy to send a sample to test.