• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best printer cutter for reflective vinyl

Lorrie Acord

We currently only cut vinyl and are looking to replace our cutter with a printer cutter for reflective vinyl. We'll use it for traffic signs, mostly pedestrian signs, but also for some regulatory or neighborhood signs, typically using 30" rolls of vinyl.
Pros & Cons of various brands we should look at?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are certain printers that are certified for traffic signs specifically. One that comes to mind is the Avery Traffic Jet (Re-branded and modified Mutoh VJ1638). It uses a special ink set that hits the required colors spot on. I don't know of any printer/cutters that are speced like that but you can always get a separate cutter.

Lorrie Acord

Maybe I should say Pedestrian Signs instead of Traffic Signs, because that will be the bulk of our sales. We currently manufacture street name signs by cutting EC film overlay for reflective vinyl. We do very few regulatory traffic signs. Looking for one machine to both print and cut.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
There are certain printers that are certified for traffic signs specifically. One that comes to mind is the Avery Traffic Jet (Re-branded and modified Mutoh VJ1638). It uses a special ink set that hits the required colors spot on. I don't know of any printer/cutters that are speced like that but you can always get a separate cutter.
The current Avery Traffic Jet Expert is actually a Mutoh 1682SR.

SanQ

We use a Summa S75T solo for reflective materials.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn JSN-L21 met Tapatalk

ikarasu

Are you using the correct blade?

You need this blade - not from this site... Just the first that's come up for me. And a cb15 holder. It's super expensive, but cuts through pris.atic pretty good. The more pinch wheels you have the better as well... We added 2 to our fc9000.

And then there's limitations. Cutting anything under 2" is a pain - well, cutting anything is a pain... Anything under 2 is hair pulling pain.

TheRealDSJ

Are you using the correct blade?

You need this blade - not from this site... Just the first that's come up for me. And a cb15 holder. It's super expensive, but cuts through pris.atic pretty good. The more pinch wheels you have the better as well... We added 2 to our fc9000.

And then there's limitations. Cutting anything under 2" is a pain - well, cutting anything is a pain... Anything under 2 is hair pulling pain.

Hi Ikarasu - thanks for the info - we do have this genuine graphtec blade and holder - the biggest issues we've had (and others have said the same) is the 3M HIP media (3830 & 3832) we are using just slips on the rollers (The backing just wont grip on the rollers - almost at all.) It starts off seeming to be fine then (even at really slow speeds) it will just completely shift the sheet of media sideways and rotate it. We are using 4 pinch rollers - do you think more than this would help? I'm willing to try this with more pinch rollers - if I can get someone to say it actually works - just don't want to invest the $$ in more rollers if its not going to make a lick of difference...... How many rollers are you using?

It's at the point where we are going into much larger metal sign production and still using roll to roll printers so need a solution - or we'll just get a CNC flat bed router....

We were having some problems feeding longer jobs through our 9000, but turning up the grit roller pressure (all to high) and pre-feeding we minimized the issue.
We are using 4 rollers and some jobs will go over 100 inches with only a 1/32 to 1/16 depending on the backer of the substrate.

ikarasu

Hi Ikarasu - thanks for the info - we do have this genuine graphtec blade and holder - the biggest issues we've had (and others have said the same) is the 3M HIP media (3830 & 3832) we are using just slips on the rollers (The backing just wont grip on the rollers - almost at all.) It starts off seeming to be fine then (even at really slow speeds) it will just completely shift the sheet of media sideways and rotate it. We are using 4 pinch rollers - do you think more than this would help? I'm willing to try this with more pinch rollers - if I can get someone to say it actually works - just don't want to invest the $$ in more rollers if its not going to make a lick of difference...... How many rollers are you using?

It's at the point where we are going into much larger metal sign production and still using roll to roll printers so need a solution - or we'll just get a CNC flat bed router....
If you're doing high volumes.of thick reflective... Get a flatbed cutter. Doesn't have to be a big 4x8 one, the graphtec flatbed is nice as is the summa.

You can cut decently on the roll laminators, more rollers help... But when we cut 10ft long sections it still skews a bit, which causes the edges to not be perfectly cut and the weeding requires cleanup.

It's just the nature of the beast with roll cutters... You can get by with one, but if I were cutting highway signs every week I'd buy a true flatbed

TheRealDSJ

If you're doing high volumes.of thick reflective... Get a flatbed cutter. Doesn't have to be a big 4x8 one, the graphtec flatbed is nice as is the summa.

You can cut decently on the roll laminators, more rollers help... But when we cut 10ft long sections it still skews a bit, which causes the edges to not be perfectly cut and the weeding requires cleanup.

It's just the nature of the beast with roll cutters... You can get by with one, but if I were cutting highway signs every week I'd buy a true flatbed
Hi again Ikarasu - agree with you - thanks for the advice! :) Much appreciated