• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best RIP? Most Reliable? Fewest Problems?

bpp

This doesn't exist, all options have issues, bugs, and glitches.

I have used Flexi, and it's great for starting, but lacks the power for a high-output shop.

Caldera is great because it has a similar usability to Flexi, but you are stuck with Mac or Linux and their Support has gone downhill after their buyout.

We have been Onyx Users for year's, once you learn how it works and how to use it, it is a very powerful tool with great Color Management.

Ultimately we have decided to switch to PrintFactory, it provides tools and options far superior to any of the others, along with Excellent color management and production automation tools.
How's their support?

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I bought two new Epson printer that come with a stripped down version of Onyx. I called Onyx and spoke with them and the gave me a sixty day trail and have been extending the trail because of a bug.

I am looking at print factory after waiting for six to eight month on free trial of Onyx for them to fix a bug where if your file has a kiss-cut-and a thru-cut Onyx sees both cuts as the same no matter what you do. This is on a Summa Cutter. I have to run an entire role through and kiss-cut it, then print the file again using only the thru-cut. I had to figure out how to keep the bar code the same and reprint the file without actually printing the graphic.

This is basically making me do each job twice.

They keep telling me we are working on it, but I guess that is a standard reply.

Yesterday, when I called again, tech said they were going to ask the developer working on this how long until a fix is made. I told them I wasn't buying the software until the bug was fixed and that I have started to look at of rip software..

Christian @ 2CT Media

I bought two new Epson printer that come with a stripped down version of Onyx. I called Onyx and spoke with them and the gave me a sixty day trail and have been extending the trail because of a bug.

I am looking at print factory after waiting for six to eight month on free trial of Onyx for them to fix a bug where if your file has a kiss-cut-and a thru-cut Onyx sees both cuts as the same no matter what you do. This is on a Summa Cutter. I have to run an entire role through and kiss-cut it, then print the file again using only the thru-cut. I had to figure out how to keep the bar code the same and reprint the file without actually printing the graphic.

This is basically making me do each job twice.

They keep telling me we are working on it, but I guess that is a standard reply.

Yesterday, when I called again, tech said they were going to ask the developer working on this how long until a fix is made. I told them I wasn't buying the software until the bug was fixed and that I have started to look at of rip software..
I can help you with that, we run different layers/colors all the time for that very reason and we use the summa also.

Not fully; we are having an issue with profiling on the Colorado M5W because a glitch was discovered in the Colorado printer software that causes our profiles to be completely reset.

That’s interesting to know.

We have a 1650 using Printfactory, without profile issues, but are upgrading to the M5W in the near future.

Did you get any feedback on when it might be resolved?

Nolan Ruppert

Jumping in here a little late I realize, but I'm VERY glad to see there are some people out there finding Print Factory and utilizing it! We switched to PF several months ago and have absolutely never regretted the decision! We were using Onyx Thrive for years, and had used Flexi before that. PF is so much easier to use and much more powerful! There are many little flukes and tricks to learn with Onyx to make it do what you want to. One of the main reasons we switched to PF was because of the streamlined color management. We bought a Barbieri specto as well, and their software makes it so easy to calibrate all our machines to get the best out of each one. We can now print with confidence at both locations, knowing that printers of the same model will match! PF also handles nuetral colors and greys WAY better than Onyx! Colors are just so much better and easier to achieve! We also have an HP800W, and are so happy with how easy PF handles white printing! Onyx had a lot of glitches with that, and yes, Onyx always has the standard answer that they are "working" on issues. It's been I think 4 versions since their auto rotate feature worked correctly with cut lines. If that doesn't give you a clue how fast their "support" is, I'm not sure what will. So far with PF, we have been very happy with their support! I have almost always heard back the same day, and had someone dedicated to my issue until it was resolved! I've never worked with a more responsive company than PF! They did not have the correct driver we needed for our flatbed printer, but within 24 hours, they had it created and it has worked flawlessly ever since! Obviously the "perfect" rip, is going to depend on what your need is and what your work flow is. As a company that does signs and vehicle wraps, I'd recommend PF to anyone that asks! I just wish more people knew about them!

Saturn

Aging Member
Hey Christian, I'd also be interested in hearing some tips to get different cuts to work well through Onyx to Summa cutters!
I'm jumping the queue, and you've probably already tried some of this, but this is what I do:

You should be able to get a "regular" cut and a FlexCut in one job by having your cut lines named specifically in both the file, and the >Manage Cutters>Cut Layer Settings window of the Onyx Cut Server.

For example, I have my everyday/default cut called 'CutContour' if I'm just doing my usual stickers. And if I am doing something (like a sticker sheet) where I want a kiss cut of little interior shapes followed by a flexcut or two around the edge, I have things named 'CutContour_KissCut' and 'CutContour_FlexCut', and that works great to get them both going in a single pass of the job. The key being having them named identically in the file and the cut server preferences.

What would be really great, is if Summa truly allowed 2 (or more) regular cuts where you could specify the weight individually at the cutter, and not be forced to use the FlexCut option. FlexCut, as far as I can tell, will always cut in a sort of 'Directional' mode even if that's not really ideal. It's also slower than a regular cut. You probably already are, but definitely set FlexCut options (weight speed etc.) at the cutter and not through Onyx.

CutLayerSettings.png

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm jumping the queue, and you've probably already tried some of this, but this is what I do:

You should be able to get a "regular" cut and a FlexCut in one job by having your cut lines named specifically in both the file, and the >Manage Cutters>Cut Layer Settings window of the Onyx Cut Server.

For example, I have my everyday/default cut called 'CutContour' if I'm just doing my usual stickers. And if I am doing something (like a sticker sheet) where I want a kiss cut of little interior shapes followed by a flexcut or two around the edge, I have things named 'CutContour_KissCut' and 'CutContour_FlexCut', and that works great to get them both going in a single pass of the job. The key being having them named identically in the file and the cut server preferences.

What would be really great, is if Summa truly allowed 2 (or more) regular cuts where you could specify the weight individually at the cutter, and not be forced to use the FlexCut option. FlexCut, as far as I can tell, will always cut in a sort of 'Directional' mode even if that's not really ideal. It's also slower than a regular cut. You probably already are, but definitely set FlexCut options (weight speed etc.) at the cutter and not through Onyx.

View attachment 166819
This is exactly it. Sorry for my delay, but as Saturn mentioned, you can create 50 different layer names if you want... But you need to also have RIP server look for those in the quickest for cut path names and you need to have those spot colors in the input file.

An example that we do is CutContour_Inside and CutContour_Outside. Then when we have a lot of inside and outside cuts we can run the layers separately. They still both use the Tangential knife but they are separate layers.