• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Solvent Printer for Outdoor Durability?

digitalsoup

Hello, we are currently looking to replace our solvent printer (a Roland RF-640 that we've had since 2016). We are considering another Roland, a Mimaki JV300, OKI ColorPainter M-64s, Mutoh XpertJet, or an Epson S80600. Outdoor durability is the #1 priority. #2 would be print speed, #3 would be print resolution/quality, and last would be color matching capability. I appreciate any experience that anyone has with any of these printers or brands. Thanks.

rjssigns

We have three JV300's in the lab at school. Haven't run them a lot but they run pretty fast. Anything with a dual head setup is going to be fast.
Can't speak to the Mutoh XpertJet other than I was going to trade in my 1624x and my dealer said don't bother. Not enough of better anything to worry about it.

Which brings up my final point. You could always buy two printers with DX7 heads. This allows for redundancy and the ability to print two different medias simultaneously.
Would also cut down on media changeover.

Ink durability has been good with my Mutoh. Slowly switching to the latest MS31 inks that are supposed to be improved. We shall see.

Hello, we are currently looking to replace our solvent printer (a Roland RF-640 that we've had since 2016). We are considering another Roland, a Mimaki JV300, OKI ColorPainter M-64s, Mutoh XpertJet, or an Epson S80600. Outdoor durability is the #1 priority. #2 would be print speed, #3 would be print resolution/quality, and last would be color matching capability. I appreciate any experience that anyone has with any of these printers or brands. Thanks.

When it comes to comparing the durability and longevity of different printers and inks, it can be helpful to compare the warranties available from media vendors for specific printers and inks. One of the most recognized of these is the 3M MCS warranty. Here is a link (scroll down to the MCS Warranty Selector) where you can compare the MCS warranty across specific printers and inksets (most of the USA and Canada is zone 2):

The warranty term denotes the level of belief and confidence that 3M has with the durability and longevity of each printer/ ink combination - it is also illustrative to note ink colors that are explicitly excluded from the warranty.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
As noted above - If you are concerned about longevity, you should only consider a 3M MCS warranted printer/inks. You will have to run the MCS inks and use 3M materials for the warranty to be enforced, but any quality material will definitely last and the inks will last on them.

Do NOT get a printer that prints non-CMYK inks, as those inks are NOT warranted for any type of outdoor longevity and most will fade within two years.
None of the manufacturers will tell you that, but when your prints start fading they leave you hanging. It has happened to me.

For speed, I definitely recommend an Epson 60600 dual CMYK head printer. You can print some jobs on 4-pass and all others on 6 pass.
We can match all Pantone colors necessary with only 2 profiles we built in Onyx. (speaking of which, you are going to need to buy a RIP with a printer that is non-Roland)
You can outgass in a few hours and laminate. It also has hardly any color drift, even over long time spans.
You can print replacement panels that match perfectly later. The quality is also GREAT at all speeds even on small text/details.

digitalsoup

When it comes to comparing the durability and longevity of different printers and inks, it can be helpful to compare the warranties available from media vendors for specific printers and inks. One of the most recognized of these is the 3M MCS warranty. Here is a link (scroll down to the MCS Warranty Selector) where you can compare the MCS warranty across specific printers and inksets (most of the USA and Canada is zone 2):

The warranty term denotes the level of belief and confidence that 3M has with the durability and longevity of each printer/ ink combination - it is also illustrative to note ink colors that are explicitly excluded from the warranty.
Thanks!

rjssigns

S60600 is CMYK only. We like the option of having LC, LM, LK, O, R and even white or silver.
If you don't need the additional colors don't get them. White and silver are expensive and a PITA if you don't use them on a regular basis. As far as Lc/Lm there is no need. Those colors do not expand the gamut. If your dealer told you that find another dealer. Save for white and silver a properly profiled printer will hit the colors clients demand. Reference the JFiscus post.;)

digitalsoup

If you don't need the additional colors don't get them. White and silver are expensive and a PITA if you don't use them on a regular basis. As far as Lc/Lm there is no need. Those colors do not expand the gamut. If your dealer told you that find another dealer. Save for white and silver a properly profiled printer will hit the colors clients demand. Reference the JFiscus post.;)
Orange and Red do help extend the color gamut and we had a Roland that had LC, LM, and LK and the print just looked better visually.

digitalsoup

As noted above - If you are concerned about longevity, you should only consider a 3M MCS warranted printer/inks. You will have to run the MCS inks and use 3M materials for the warranty to be enforced, but any quality material will definitely last and the inks will last on them.

Do NOT get a printer that prints non-CMYK inks, as those inks are NOT warranted for any type of outdoor longevity and most will fade within two years.
None of the manufacturers will tell you that, but when your prints start fading they leave you hanging. It has happened to me.

For speed, I definitely recommend an Epson 60600 dual CMYK head printer. You can print some jobs on 4-pass and all others on 6 pass.
We can match all Pantone colors necessary with only 2 profiles we built in Onyx. (speaking of which, you are going to need to buy a RIP with a printer that is non-Roland)
You can outgass in a few hours and laminate. It also has hardly any color drift, even over long time spans.
You can print replacement panels that match perfectly later. The quality is also GREAT at all speeds even on small text/details.
Thank you

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ink of a certain type, be it solvent, eco-solvent, whatever, on vinyl is ink on vinyl. How the ink got there is far less important than the vinyl quality and exposure to the elements.