• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best UV Printers for Braille Signs

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Ah, ok so that is a braille raster insertion tool. They actually include that option for most engravers, but in the end you're just setting up the flatbed to engrave ADA signs instead of an engraver.
Yep. I was wrong. I didn't read into it.
They're drilled and inserted
Better than printing imo, unless you need raised letters.

Im positive ive seen the punch tool somewhere. We've had a customer give us some made like that on thin stainless.

But I know most ada signs I've seen in Australia and Japan are all on steel and look to be punched/pressed.
I have yet to see any printed ones.

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
We've had canon/oce equipment for almost 10 years.

While we're not on a service contract for some of our equipment any more, each time I need to replace a small part or purchase anything, I get it with in a day or 2.
When we do a service call, they're here the next day with everything up and running
I truly am happy for you. We've met many, many Canon owners who curse Canon up and down for their crappy support. I'm speaking of the US; perhaps the Australian/Oceanian area is better.

amw

Longtime Members
I think only dots.
I only came across it while looking at flatbed cutters.

I know zund has the module.

If you don't need raised text, you can print then punch or punch then print.

In the video it's making dents but iicr on alumium it'll do it and on the reversed side it'll be raised.

This is how its done for high traffic areas, I personally wouldn't use print for ADA signs.

Im pretty sure if you look hard enough you can find one that could do text also. It'll be a more specific machine though

I have had this for a Roland engraver for about 15 years. Works really well. The Insertion tool, etc. is from Accent Signage https://www.accentsignage.com/

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I truly am happy for you. We've met many, many Canon owners who curse Canon up and down for their crappy support. I'm speaking of the US; perhaps the Australian/Oceanian area is better.

Not to get too side-tracked....but they've been great to us in Canada as well. We've had our 318gl for 8ish years and have only had it down once, and have our tech's cell number and have never been let down by them. Had to replace the firewire cable a couple years back and he walked me through the whole thing by Facetime and I'm pretty sure they didn't even charge us. And we never renewed our service contract when the factory warranty ran out.

Then again we're not a super high-volume shop, but I would consider them a very good manufacturer and I'm glad we can deal with them direct instead of dealer/3rd party tech support.

AKA TRE

Hello All,
We currently have a DCS 7200z and are seriosuly considering upgrading for numerous issues and was wondering if there is even a true competitor out there that can print braille. Like many others have reported, the machine runs great when it is working, but when it goes down it can be a 2 to 3 week wait for a service tech to be dispatched and they don't always fix it on the first trip. So, has anyone bought a NON Direct Color System printer that succesfully prints braille that looks good and is compliant? How has the service been on that machine? Any feedback or advice on a machine that you own and operate would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
This is sort of my specialty and what I built my business on. I have had 3 different DCS machines and they are a total pain in the ass. I have had to ship mine back to Connecticut 4 times from Oregon for repairs. When they work, set up and ease of use for ADA and Braille is good. They print out good quality signs....when they work. I did purchase a Mutoh 661 and I love it but the setup on the back end for the ADA stuff is a little more time consuming.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Sounds to me like DCS needs a wake up call and some competition in the marketplace. Nothing but horror stories on here about their equipment and company!

AKA TRE

Sounds to me like DCS needs a wake up call and some competition in the marketplace. Nothing but horror stories on here about their equipment and company!
It's laughable. I think they had the market cornered for so long they just got comfortable. OH also a 30k+ machine and you have to pay for tech service over the phone $25 and hour for them to tell you how to fix their broken printer. No kidding I spent close to 8k getting mine repaired and it showed back up to my shop broken and non working.

bkanizar

So is it acceptable now to talk about other manufacturers or is DCS still sending Cease and Desist letters out like water
I haven't gotten one yet ... but if they do send one I'll just reply that I will cease and disist reporting truthfull issues with their machine when they get it back up and running....going on 6 weeks downtime now.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

At the last print trade show in Australia, DCS had a stand to my surprise.
Me being me, I checked out their stuff, looked at the print quality.
I picked up a sample and asked the guys what print mode/speed. They said it was their high quality mode, 1200x1200 If I can remember.

... The print quality was poor. No sharpness. Poor dot placement, terrible..
I wouldn't touch that rubbish.
Not sure why people buy them.

We just upgraded to the UV84-DTS Gen 2 from the 7200z.

It's only been a couple of weeks so we still are not sure of the reliability, but it has been a huge upgrade in every way so far.

Initial impressions:
It is a huge speed boost over the 7200z. Like crazy faster.
Needs cleaned more often, but it's easier to do. We are cleaning before every job.
Adhesion is better, but priming correctly is still super important.
Quality is better, but some colors of tactile are weird.
Wish there was a way to turn off the beeps when the uv lights go on and off. Sounds like an ER in here now.
The PC they provide with the machine is laughably underpowered.
The speed of it.....

I was not a fan of the 7200z or DCS and it's 'support' setup. Cursed those machines almost daily, but I'm cautiously optimistic so far on the new ones. Machine wise them seem to have learned a lot, will have to see on support.

AKA TRE

At the last print trade show in Australia, DCS had a stand to my surprise.
Me being me, I checked out their stuff, looked at the print quality.
I picked up a sample and asked the guys what print mode/speed. They said it was their high quality mode, 1200x1200 If I can remember.

... The print quality was poor. No sharpness. Poor dot placement, terrible..
I wouldn't touch that rubbish.
Not sure why people buy them.
I was initially drawn to them by the braille module and small footprint of the machine itself. They are just way too unreliable. Bunch a grifters out there selling frankensteined printers with epson heads. I should add that in one of my last replies I said their service was $25 an hour it's actually $25 for every 15 mins...IF you can even get someone on the line.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I posted a very detailed account of issues with DCS printers here about eight years ago. From what I can tell from these posts, they haven't improved in a single area.
And I've always wondered what one of the federal inspectors would say about the printed copy- which is domed (not, technically, "eased" like is ADA spec). I mean, sure, it's still tactile, but ....

True

Not to get too side-tracked....but they've been great to us in Canada as well. We've had our 318gl for 8ish years and have only had it down once, and have our tech's cell number and have never been let down by them. Had to replace the firewire cable a couple years back and he walked me through the whole thing by Facetime and I'm pretty sure they didn't even charge us. And we never renewed our service contract when the factory warranty ran out.

Then again we're not a super high-volume shop, but I would consider them a very good manufacturer and I'm glad we can deal with them direct instead of dealer/3rd party tech support.
Does 318gl do raised text and ada?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Does 318gl do raised text and ada?
No, I believe they added a "Touchstone" option on later models that allows you to print 2.5D / textured stuff but not positive if even the new ones can technically print ada compliant graphics.

CMYKENGINEERING

Merchant Member
Canon Arizona with touchstone (addidional aoftware) is super impressive.

Ours is a tank. Only replaced minor parts if needed. Canon is a huge company, nothing like these Chinese import brands.
I'm glad your experiences have been good, but we have many customers throughout the US who report below average to poor service from Canon.

Also, Touchstone software is not required to print height files. It's an intermediary cash grab that Canon sells :)