• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vector for the $$

Malkin

Well, strictly looking a utility:cost ratio, Inkscape gets you quite a bit of functionality for absolutely no cost.

Salmoneye

I used to use Corel way back in the late '80's early '90's but when I re-entered the graphics world a couple of years ago I went with an Adobe suite and have not regretted it; it seems to be the industry standard and plays well with it's counterparts. The best program will probably be the one that you can master. I almost never get a .cdr but receive .ai files all the time.

ucmj22

I'm a 1 trick pony. All I have ever used is adobe illustrator. I think it is an excellent program however it is a little difficult to do some tasks important to sign making, such as box shadows and half tones.

WildWestDesigns

The Adobe Suite is all that I have ever used. I do have painter on my computer, but other then opening it up to look at the GUI I haven't used it much at all.

Illustrator is by far the most used program and you can get plugins for it to fit your specific needs. There are quite a few people (not in this group that I've noticed, but other Illustrator users) that don't like having to deal with plugins and think that Illustrator should just come with what they specifically need, but that really is unrealistic for some things.

All in all, my vote would be for Illustrator just due to how easily those files intergrate with the rest of the adobe suite and it is universally accepted. At least I haven't had someone say that they couldn't handle it. I might have had to save it in a legacy format, but not in a different format like .cdr or whatever the new extension is for Coral.

CanuckSigns

Corel Here. but it's completely pointless to argue over this, the best design program is the one you are familiar with and can use the most efficiently!

WildWestDesigns

Corel Here. but it's completely pointless to argue over this, the best design program is the one you are familiar with and can use the most efficiently!

I can agree with you to a point. However, if you are the greatest person in the world with software that isn't accepted at most any other place, it doesn't do anybody a whole lot of good.

If 90% of the places use software X and you are proficient with software Y, either you need to find out how to convert Y into X as best as you can or you learn software X. Unless you are able to do everything in-house, then that cocern becomes a moot point.

I have never have received a good working CDR file. I don't know if that's an issue with the person sending me the file or if there is something wrong with software translation. Either way, it presents a problem for workflow. I'm about 50/50 with good working EPS files. Which lends credibility to it being a user issue, however, you would think that statistically I would have at least had 1 workable CDR file.

signmeup

I can agree with you to a point. However, if you are the greatest person in the world with software that isn't accepted at most any other place, it doesn't do anybody a whole lot of good.

If 90% of the places use software X and you are proficient with software Y, either you need to find out how to convert Y into X as best as you can or you learn software X. Unless you are able to do everything in-house, then that cocern becomes a moot point.

I have never have received a good working CDR file. I don't know if that's an issue with the person sending me the file or if there is something wrong with software translation. Either way, it presents a problem for workflow. I'm about 50/50 with good working EPS files. Which lends credibility to it being a user issue, however, you would think that statistically I would have at least had 1 workable CDR file.
I think Adobe purposely makes it hard to import cdr files. Arrogant bastards.

BadAss

Corel, Best for vector, Adobe best fro photos. As a vector program Adobe leaves a lot of invisible lines that are used to attach there art together, when that is put into a plooter those lines get cut just like any other and it leaves you wondering where it came from. They can only be seen in wireframe. With Corel they do not use these lines and are allways a much smaller file than their Adobe countrpart. We own both. But for ANYTHING vector we work in Corel, All Photo or full color styles we work with Adobe.. M*

ucmj22

Corel, Best for vector, Adobe best fro photos. As a vector program Adobe leaves a lot of invisible lines that are used to attach there art together, when that is put into a plooter those lines get cut just like any other and it leaves you wondering where it came from. They can only be seen in wireframe. With Corel they do not use these lines and are allways a much smaller file than their Adobe countrpart. We own both. But for ANYTHING vector we work in Corel, All Photo or full color styles we work with Adobe.. M*

A stroke will cut as it's own line if not converted to outlines before exporting, other than that I don't know what you're talking about. I design for plotters all the time in illustrator.

Rodi

Any vector program should do. If all you are doing is straight vectors, buy Corel Draw, I bought X4 for 40 bux on Ebay, complete with serial. Is it better than Illustrator? some yes, some no.

I used/still use Freehand (V3-MX) and it is a great program. Some hate it. it is all what you get used to.

If you are creating your own vectors only, you can go with a great vector program. It is when you have to take client files, and output them, where you have issues.

Personally learn one, do great with it.

I have used many vector programs (LetraStudio, Illustrator, Freehand, Inkscape, Corel Draw on Macs and PC) Vectors are user friendly with the pen tool, the weld/punch tools. You know what you need. Buy the right tool and you will be happy.