• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best vector program

Hi, currently we use sign lab when ever we have had to make a vector out line, we like it better then flexi but sign lab has it's flaws too.
other then sending the design or graphic to the Vector Doctor ( I know he gets great thumbs up here) what is your go to program if you need to vectorize

GVP

If you're talking about auto-tracing, I don't think any software program will be better than doing it manually. Most auto-traces put in far too many nodes, and often by the time you clean all that up, you could have digitized it yourself.

Bigdawg

Just Me
That's like asking Mac or PC :Big Laugh

I'm an Illustrator girl myself. For me Corel is clunky and I'm not too fond of Flexi. But I think it's all in what your comfortable with. I started in Illustrator 88 years ago so I know it a lot better than Corel. If Corel had handled color better way back then, I might have been a Corel person.

As far as auto trace though, Flexi's is pretty much the best IMHO.

OldPaint

STREAMLINE 4.0............best. INSCAPE does a decent job.......COREL newer version trace is much better

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Flexi isn't the best at vectorizing on its own, but I am quicker in Flexi when just recreating/drawing something myself. Used to know Corel inside out but haven't used in maybe 10 years.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You are my new best friend :U Rock:

I guess that means I shouldn't show my age by mentioning the fifteen or so grandchildren.... (and no - I'm not kidding)

I didn't even know it was around 88 years ago. Or Adobe for that matter ;)

klmiller611

That's like asking Mac or PC :Big Laugh

I'm an Illustrator girl myself. For me Corel is clunky and I'm not too fond of Flexi. But I think it's all in what your comfortable with. I started in Illustrator 88 years ago so I know it a lot better than Corel. If Corel had handled color better way back then, I might have been a Corel person.

I agree here. I learned Illustrator from the beginning, actually Illustrator .987 (I think) pre-release version, then version 1, then 88. I completely agree that Corel felt clunky to me, one of my friends did all his stuff in Corel for years, then got forced to use Illustrator at work, now he says I was right all along! Nothing like a little validation! :)

It is like you said, asking Mac or PC.

Ken Miller

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Corel only seems natural to me since I literally grew up with it. It also seems "right" when someone sends me something designed in Adobe and none of the paths are closed and everything is an outline and I dang near have to rebuild that crap. All that being said, a lot of that has to do with the designer, and either program can be made to work just fine.

T_K

I've only personally used illustrator. But I've watched another print shop using corel, and it just seems awkward to use. Could be my lack of experience, or it could be as others have said "clunky".
But I'm not in a good position to make that call.

I do like *most* of the updates from CS6 to CC. But the smart guide feature doesn't seem to work as well in CC.