• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl for university table decals?

RMarshall

A local university library is looking for decals to be applied to tables. (if it matters these are mostly commercial desks/tables with smooth or eggshell surfaces).
The decals are ~4x4in. square and they're thinking about a couple hundred of them to start...nothing crazy.

One of their concerns is that decals will be easily peeled off.
I currently use MacTac RB528 for high tack decals but we don't do many so I honestly don't have much experience with the other options out there.

Would RB528 with a laminate work well enough or is there a better recommendation?

Jason Thomas

There are ultra high tacks available too... they may be a little better. Icon Substance 440LSE is one of them. Most vinyls are time/pressure sensitive; the longer they are on the table, the harder it is to peel them off in one piece and without residue. I also suggest laminating and putting radius corners on your decals to curtail corners lifting or chipping.

petepaz

no matter what you use if someone wants to remove it, pick at it or damage it then there is nothing that can be done to stop that.
using a high tack vinyl is the best you can do. you can get a tamper proof material but that is generally polyester material and if picked at will only come off in bits and pieces.
if they want something more tamper proof they should get aluminum nameplates and screw them to the tables

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are they going on the tops of the tables, or underneath/elsewhere just to state that they are University property? They sound pretty small to be going on the tables' tops.
If they're going on the tops I would use a removeable (wrap) vinyl so that when they start to look crappy they'll not leave a lot of adhesive behind.
If they're going underneath then use something like Arlon DPF8000 and they'll stay on pretty well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What pete said........ you can make decals and graphics hold on under normal conditions, but you cannot make them vandal proof. Suggest making templates and painting the message onto the tables and then clearcoat over the top with 4 or 5 coats.

d fleming

I agree with Gino. Take it from a former high school teacher, there is nothing short of paint that will give any kind of longevity on a school table top.

RMarshall

Let the students peel them off, then just keep replacing them and making money. :D
This is pretty much what I told the client haha,
except that my spin on it was that nothing is going to prevent students picking at these so just accept that and buy a lot more stickers at once so that you can replace them as needed.

Im just not that familiar with all the different type of vinyl out there so I had no idea if there was something better suited then our standard ol' high tack.