• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to do this?

rmaclucy

Have a job for outdoor lit sign.
The KIH is cast aluminum letters that will be back lit.
They want the blue lines to be front lit.
The problem is the blue lines are only 1/2" wide. They don't want to compromise on the size so LED is out.
I'm wondering if the lines would look okay using neon or would that somehow look weird with the glow of the backlit letters.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• kih.jpg
    kih.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 82

J Hill Designs

well, 1/2" IS perfect width for neon (12 or 13 mm) but yes, I'm pretty sure the glow of the neon will compromise the (I'm assuming by back lit you mean Halo) of the cast letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
According to how far off the wall you are, the halo effect might not be compromised, but my real concern would be how funky that will look if you back it with a clear plastic and it looks like a perch for birds to congregate, which will mean lotsa callbacks to fix. Exposed neon like that is a birds paradise..... really, unless this thing is going inside.

J Hill Designs

According to how far off the wall you are, the halo effect might not be compromised, but my real concern would be how funky that will look if you back it with a clear plastic and it looks like a perch for birds to congregate, which will mean lotsa callbacks to fix. Exposed neon like that is a birds paradise..... really, unless this thing is going inside.

I wouldn't back it with anything...
I've never had an issue with birds lighting on direct-mounted neon, its usually a bit too close to the wall for their fancy.