• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Best way to hold PVC foam sheet to a wall?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have 6 full sheets of 1220 x 2440 (6x8 feet) printed PVC foam sheets. I have them stuck to a wall of melamine sheets. Currently they've been stuck with strips of Velcro but the adhesive keeps letting go. they hold for a month or so until 1 sheet will let go.

Im thinking some 3m double sided tape?

It's not permanent but it'll be there for a year or so.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

MikePro

nothing is temporary at that scale, you're bound to be doing some damage to the wall, even with tape alone.
HUGE fan of VHB tape & 100% silicone adhesive combo.
don't hold back, frame the panels with VHB tape with some strips in the center every couple of feet to keep the panels flush/square/flat, and scatter large blobs of silicone in between.

ikarasu

I second the VHB tape option. You're bound to tear some paint / a layer off with VHB though... But if its going up a year, it's probably your least destructive option. Foam sheets are pretty light, you could probably get by with just a Square frame of tape all around the sheet, no need for anything else. We put up a 4 x 8 coro sign in our shop with just 1 strip across the top, and it held for a few months before we tore it down. of course for stability you'll want to at least frame it though, prevents someone from sticking their fingers under and yanking.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
nothing is temporary at that scale, you're bound to be doing some damage to the wall, even with tape alone.
HUGE fan of VHB tape & 100% silicone adhesive combo.
don't hold back, frame the panels with VHB tape with some strips in the center every couple of feet to keep the panels flush/square/flat, and scatter large blobs of silicone in between.

I second the VHB tape option. You're bound to tear some paint / a layer off with VHB though... But if its going up a year, it's probably your least destructive option. Foam sheets are pretty light, you could probably get by with just a Square frame of tape all around the sheet, no need for anything else. We put up a 4 x 8 coro sign in our shop with just 1 strip across the top, and it held for a few months before we tore it down. of course for stability you'll want to at least frame it though, prevents someone from sticking their fingers under and yanking.

It's going onto malamine so i can't really do real damage to it.
I rather not use silicone. A quick search of that tape and it can get it locally. i'll try that. Thanks guys.

ikarasu

It's going onto malamine so i can't really do real damage to it.
I rather not use silicone. A quick search of that tape and it can get it locally. i'll try that. Thanks guys.
Well, VHB should do the trick! I'm a pretty hefty guy, around 180 lbs. we had to take down some signs put up by a previous company and replace them - About a 12" circle, 3 pieces of VHB tape in stripes... I was hanging off of that sign, feet off of the floor for a good minute before it finally gave way.

There are easier ways to get it off, such as fishing line, adhesive remover, etc... We usually never have to remove it, so we haven't tried. A quick search on here and theres a ton of tips though. I believe it's rated at 50 lbs per 12 inches or something, So it should definitely work for you.

Velcro around the edges of a 4x8 sheet really should hold a piece of 3mm Sintra no problem.

I've used velcro for this kind of thing quite a bit, the biggest problems we've had from it from would be from not wiping the boards/wall down with alcohol before applying and not letting the adhesive cure. If you can stick everything down, then let it sit before putting the boards up (to let the adhesive set), it will help immensely. It's kind of like having to install it twice... but at least it would go up and stay up (hopefully).

rossmosh

The adhesive on the velcro keeps letting go. there's quite a bit on there also.

I honestly forgot the process I used to do when I was working in trade shows. We had jigs cut so we could use spray adhesive on the back of the PVC. Then we'd apply the velcro. The walls finished with Formica didn't seem to need the extra adhesive.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I honestly forgot the process I used to do when I was working in trade shows. We had jigs cut so we could use spray adhesive on the back of the PVC. Then we'd apply the velcro. The walls finished with Formica didn't seem to need the extra adhesive.

The boards i'm using are ex trade show pieces. It was given to me buy a good client of ours and he's not one to let people display his work unless paid for ect. They where sitting in his office and asked if i wanted to put them up. I dont believe they've been put up before as there was nothing at the back. i did get another set from him that where used and had velcro on them, that's where i got the idea from to use velcro. the velcro lasted a month before i saw the adhesive let go. after i re applied them i got another month or 2. some held better than others.