• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bigger than a vehicle, but wow.... would you?

formanek

A challenge has been set for me to bid. I am a one man show and I love a challenge. Hiring help installers wouldn't be impossible and I would need much help, but is this job impossible? Here are the measurements.... Silo 1: 31.4’ (circumference) x 57’ (h) Silo 2: 31.4’ (circumference) x 41’ (h) Silo 3: 37.68’ (circumference) x 55’ (h). My estimation (mentally) would be about $15 per square foot because of logistics, weather, cleaning them, installation, rental equipment, etc...

Thoughts? Were talking about a $75,000 job here. Is it worth the stress? :banghead:

Attachments

• Kennys.jpg
    Kennys.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 141
  • EastSilos.jpg
    EastSilos.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 106
  • WestSilo.jpg
    WestSilo.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 117

johnnysigns

If the margins are good and you can manage the install I don't see the problem. Looks like fun personally, but I'm sure an initial hurdle will be how long you make the pieces so you can handle the weight of the pieces up in the air and for an 8hr day. Brands Imaging in Philly did a pretty big guy down at Sesame Place in PA. They're the only people I know of that has direct experience with making this happen.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, it sounds low, but I've never done one of these, let alone 3 of them.

Remember, you're gonna be pretty high up and the wind up there is a little different than 30' or so in the air. You're probably going to need new insurance for not only you, but all the stuff that could possibly happen. Your helpers would have to be totally on the payroll and will probably require insurance also. Lotsa things will come into play on such a job.

Like mentioned, it looks like fun, but you still have to quote for it as a regular tough job.

In case something goes wrong here and there.... how do you get more graphics and how long to wait til they'd come in and you'd have to go back and rent all the equipment again ??

phototec

Honestly, it sounds low, but I've never done one of these, let alone 3 of them.

Remember, you're gonna be pretty high up and the wind up there is a little different than 30' or so in the air. You're probably going to need new insurance for not only you, but all the stuff that could possibly happen. Your helpers would have to be totally on the payroll and will probably require insurance also. Lotsa things will come into play on such a job.

Like mentioned, it looks like fun, but you still have to quote for it as a regular tough job.

In case something goes wrong here and there.... how do you get more graphics and how long to wait til they'd come in and you'd have to go back and rent all the equipment again ??

You better listen to Gino, he knows what he is talking about.

I did my first large propane tank job several months ago, and Gino gave me very good input, and increased my bid by 33% to cover the unexpected, and got the job, and just like Gino told me, with the extra time to move the scaffolding around etc, I came out ok, but if I had not listened to Gino, I would have lost my but, because these large jobs that require working up off the ground go much slower than normal.

I take my hat off to Gino for his wisdom on these matters.

:rock-n-roll:

the graphics co

As Geno said you will need some additional insurance in place before you can do that, i would call your insurer and have them look over your job.

On another note, $15/sq.ft. seems low. You can get around there for a vehicle wrap, and you don't need a 60' lift to install a vehicle wrap. Also, as a 1 man show, what is your timeline on that? It could take you weeks to complete a job that size, and during that time you will be essentially closed to any new opportunities that may come along. It may be more efficient to hire a company that can handle an installation like that, let alone the printing. What type of printer are you using? How many? That is over 5000 square feet of print not taking overlap into consideration, assuming you have 0 mistakes or reprints. How do you verify your overlaps are going to be correct and there isn't any skew.

Nothing is impossible, but not every opportunity is proper to take on alone. Don't be afraid to outsource things above your capabilities, your customer will get what is promised and be happy with you for delivering (in a timely fashion), you can make some money on the markup, you aren't out of commission for weeks, and you can build a relationship with a large national/regional installation company for future projects that are a bit out of reach. Also, you don't have to incur the additional insurance expenses.

Just my opinion, good luck with the bid.

-Cameron

TheSnowman

Looks awesome...but me as well being a one man show, I'd probably find someone who I know COULD do it, and sub it to them, or just hand the project to them in exchange for a commission. Just kind of depends how you got your foot in the door I suppose as to how you'd deal with another company.