• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Black ACM Panel

Carroll

I have been using black ACM panels for sign blades so that I do not have to cut aluminium and have it powder coated. I have noticed that after 5 years the black really fades. The material I use is gloss on one side at matte on the other. I like the look of the gloss, is anyone clear coating this material for UV protection?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have some black ACM jobs out and the last I looked, they still were doing fine..... regardless of what direction they're facing. Many of them more than 5 years old. I highly doubt clearcoating whatever you're using is gonna help much whether it was rigid laminate or liquid clear. Like the say, ya can't polish a turd. Most likely, investigate where your distributor is getting their stock from and you might find it's an inferior product.

Carroll

I have some black ACM jobs out and the last I looked, they still were doing fine..... regardless of what direction they're facing. Many of them more than 5 years old. I highly doubt clearcoating whatever you're using is gonna help much whether it was rigid laminate or liquid clear. Like the say, ya can't polish a turd. Most likely, investigate where your distributor is getting their stock from and you might find it's an inferior product.
Thanks, Can you share which brand you use?

Carroll

We have found it is better to color change / wrap the ACM to the desired color VS relying on the factory paint when long life is required
Thanks, just to be clear are you printing the wrap material or using standard High Performance vinyl? I never done any wraps. Most of my signs have been routed or sandblasted.

2B

Thanks, just to be clear are you printing the wrap material or using standard High Performance vinyl? I never done any wraps. Most of my signs have been routed or sandblasted.

Depends on the project
1 color / simple design - colored vinyl then overlay with the design
multi-colored / complex design - Print Cast with Cast UV Lamination

JBurton

Signtologist
Omegabond, but fluted, not solid.
Alumalite in that case. Didn't realize they were headquartered in your area. It's probably either really convenient for you, or somehow they ship it halfway across the country to get it next door.