• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blacking out existing acrylic faces (what paint?)

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
So I am about to go paint some faces for a debranding job. Honestly, I have seen it done a lot but never done it myself. I have flipped, stripped, removed or swapped them with ACM, but have never painted them. The faces in question need to be painted. What kind of paint do I use? Maybe I am overthinking it, but I don't want to get done and wonder if it will hold up since I have no idea how long it will be before they get replaced.

Thanks

SignosaurusRex

I prefer to use Rust-oleum oil-based Silver mixed with some White to create a less obtrusive light to medium gray. Also use the same as a block-out for walls etc.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
There is another thread about this. I'll see if I can find it, but so far I think question answered.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before you blank it out with paint, find out if the person ordering it, owns the faces. Painting them literally ruins them for any future use and if there is a landlord involved, he/she might not want to use this method.

citysignshop

I"ve seen them rolled with a few coats of white latex....BADLY! I agree, exactly who's idea is paint? Get the owner of the business to sign off on it, at least!
But..... Why not roll on some cheap blockout white vinyl? looks nice, can be removed when the faces get pulled down for the NEW tenant one day, minimal chance of you getting in poop for ruining a $500 chunk of lexan! If the lights are switched off, or the lamps removed, then the 'blockout' really doesn't have to do much more than cover the old copy....which, as you noted, if the face isn't inverted or flipped so the copy is inside, you'll STILL be able to read it! :)

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
So just to clarify, these faces are embossed, pan faces. I totally agree that if they get painted, they are unusable for future use, but these particular faces won't be reused. The company that hired me to paint them (and remove all other signage) said black, so I'm going black. Usually when I flip faces, the lights are removed. I've even done some that the contract said to remove the ballasts. Boudica, I did do a search but whatever I was trying wasn't the right terminology, or at least I didn't find it. Thanks Tex and Rex, I will probably go the route of rustoleum. I was thinking of latex, but didn't really want to get into the multiple coats scenario.