• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

blades for plotters

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'm curious about something. I tend to buy a 3rd party vendor blade through my supplier. But, I've always been told that the name brand blades are better...Well, my plotter is OLD and I would love to buy a new one, however, the new Rolands are on backorder until December. I know it's only 2 months away, but plotters are those work horses that last forever and a day. So, I decided to update mine a bit and keep moving.
So, I went with Roland blades this last time. And dog gone it, the blades at up a graphic, tore the graphic at the corners. It was a mess. 2 of my brand new Roland blades didn't even fit into the blade holder. I put the 3rd party vendor blades back in and they cut like a dream again.
So my question is: does anyone else have that same problem with blades? Do you have blades that you like better than the factory ones?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We do generally see better performance with OEM blades, but not always. There are alot of variables with material and cutting setup that even the original equipment manufacturers can't account for.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We do generally see better performance with OEM blades, but not always. There are alot of variables with material and cutting setup that even the original equipment manufacturers can't account for.
this was weird because I think I just got a bad batch of roland blades. one didn't fit and one cut terribly even after I reset everything.

SignosaurusRex

Strictly OEM blades here. Never have I had a problem and when I swap out the old blade, all I need to do is adjust the pressure back to the same pressure I set when the last blade was new. I keep the "New Blade Pressure Setting" written on post-it note on the end of the plotter ...just in case.

I have used both 3rd party and Roland blades. I have even used blades from ebay. The ebay blades are cheap but I was finding I was going thru them every 2-3 weeks. We eventually found the Clean Cut Blades and they have been the best blades. would definitely recommend trying them out

unclebun

"Clean Cut Blade manufacture Mimaki compatible plotter blades in the USA from US made, high grade carbide steel blanks."
but "

Mimaki MIMI-0001

£16.70 "​

They don't have a US site to sell from?

I use these blades for my Summa, great product and never a problem.

Second this. In 2018 I switched from Summa OEM to Cleancut and never looked back. Just as good performance and longevity at a much lower price point.

Edit: This makes me sound like a shill, but I'm not. I just like the blades.

Last edited:

Saturn

Aging Member
I don't use them since I've been happy with the OEM 45° blades on my tangential Summa, but I believe there are two websites for CleanCut Blades and I'm not 100% sure that they are the same company, although I guess I have no real reason to think otherwise. I suspect one or the other is just an official broker of the other?

cleancutbladeS.com is the one that shows up as being in the UK. Maybe they just shoot the order to the American folks below?

cleancutblade.com is the one that feels more old school and has American contact info. This one also says that there is a discount for Signs101.com members if you call the order in.

I've bought blades from the second one, just never was able to get the 60° blades to work better than what I already had, cheaper or not.

Ready

Ready To Go
I'm curious about something. I tend to buy a 3rd party vendor blade through my supplier. But, I've always been told that the name brand blades are better...Well, my plotter is OLD and I would love to buy a new one, however, the new Rolands are on backorder until December. I know it's only 2 months away, but plotters are those work horses that last forever and a day. So, I decided to update mine a bit and keep moving.
So, I went with Roland blades this last time. And dog gone it, the blades at up a graphic, tore the graphic at the corners. It was a mess. 2 of my brand new Roland blades didn't even fit into the blade holder. I put the 3rd party vendor blades back in and they cut like a dream again.
So my question is: does anyone else have that same problem with blades? Do you have blades that you like better than the factory ones?
Try Clean Cut Blade - 866-579- 0963 - website - https://cleancutblades.com/

They make great blades, at a fair price. They've been doing this for years.

Bob P

karst41

Graphtec OEM ONLY
Make sure it is sealed and inspect to guarantee it is sealed.

A local Graphtec Dealer sent me a two blade box with Used Blades.
Of course once delivered to my shop, They absolutely refused any return and
not a cold dayinhell would they take that back.
Never had this problem with any other jobber, but no doubt it is real easy for a guy behind the counter to sell a blade for $20 plus the old blade to put back in the box.

Go to the Jobber take an Old blade and Your Lupe. If the little box is not factory sealed
ask Why if they Blah Blah make them open the box and expose the cutting tip.
The Lupe will show the micro grind to the very Apex of the cutting point.
Once a blade has cut media the micro grind will polish away.

Anyway,,,,,,,, The reason for OEM Graphtecs is that I cut on avarage more than one full roll
of 24"x50 yards of 3m Intermediate SC50 a week mixed into that calculation is IJ35 C-10.

My Blades last me 3 years minimum.
Third party less than a year. Reason is that after casting and tempering the high carbon steel
and the final grind on the blades. Graphtec goes back to the oven for the final tempering,
and that is why they cost so much more. Uh Like DuH!

Learn how to set your Blade depth and down force on the cutter.
When everything is set properly and your are back into heavy production, pay attention
to those cuts during the weeding process,,, Yeah get out of your chair and get out onto the
floor with your team, and make any micro adjustments needed.

I turn the blade back and forth in One committed move.
Reference the starting position. If I am increasing the depth by a hair I back off w wee touch
and then turn in just a wee skooch past the original position.

This will extend the life even more and your Table Monkeys will 'preciate it,
because they are not fighting the weed process.

I cant speak on Suma, Mimaki, or Gerber.. I will only use Graphtec.

Cheers

Goatshaver

I don't use them since I've been happy with the OEM 45° blades on my tangential Summa, but I believe there are two websites for CleanCut Blades and I'm not 100% sure that they are the same company, although I guess I have no real reason to think otherwise. I suspect one or the other is just an official broker of the other?

cleancutbladeS.com is the one that shows up as being in the UK. Maybe they just shoot the order to the American folks below?

cleancutblade.com is the one that feels more old school and has American contact info. This one also says that there is a discount for Signs101.com members if you call the order in.

I've bought blades from the second one, just never was able to get the 60° blades to work better than what I already had, cheaper or not.
It's the same. The second one if for ordering from the USA or Canada it says in their FAQ.

They make good blades and I've had luck with them, but I've had more success and longevity with the OEM summa blades from my experience.