• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BN-20 Print

mfa53

Hello,

I just bought my BN-20 device, I'm a little far from such machines. I have watched training videos many times. I did not have a problem with printing when buying. But because our magenta paint was finished when we bought it, we waited for 2 weeks to get a new one.

And at this time, we did not use the device, it only did automatic cleaning by itself every 8 hours.

Although the black ink is 80% full and I do normal, medium, strong, manual cleaning, it leaves such stains on the edges of the print when I buy a print. It only happens in black, we still can't figure out why.

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Attachments

• tempImage13mEKM.png
    tempImage13mEKM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 572
  • tempImage8FtrGu.png
    tempImage8FtrGu.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 325
  • 7637C169-D0EC-413F-80C2-7C847873CDDE_1_105_c.jpeg
    7637C169-D0EC-413F-80C2-7C847873CDDE_1_105_c.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 390

netsol

if i am understanding the problem with black, i think i would replace ribbon cables connected tothe black print head. at least check for conductor pins bent over where they plug in. BE CAREFUL, it is easy to damage these cables when plugging in.

mfa53

if i am understanding the problem with black, i think i would replace ribbon cables connected tothe black print head. at least check for conductor pins bent over where they plug in. BE CAREFUL, it is easy to damage these cables when plugging in.
Thank you very much for your answer, I was a little scared of what you said :( I hoped I wouldn't have to go crazy but..

There was nothing when the person we bought 2-3 weeks ago pressed with us, but when we brought it to our house, we encountered such a problem. We are so sorry we don't know how to do it.

netsol

don't be scared, but be careful
it is very common to make this sort of problem worse while troubleshooting, just be aware that those cables only unplug so many times before the conductors start to lift. also check for ink splatters on the white surface of the cables and where they plug in.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
It actually looks like the usual "encoder strip is dirty" again. Although it looks like you may have to do a manual cleaning to the printhead, which is probably due to it sitting and if the magenta cartridge was empty, then NO cleanings in those two weeks were done. The printer requires ink in ALL cartridges to perform a purge cleaning.

See the below:

mfa53

Hello, thank you for your comments. When I spoke to a Roland technical service, Cap told me to put some cleaner in it and do a medium cleaning after 15 minutes. But even though I did, there is still no change, some more nozzles have improved. I am doing manual cleaning and now I am trying the method that the technical service says by increasing the minutes.

mfa53

It actually looks like the usual "encoder strip is dirty" again. Although it looks like you may have to do a manual cleaning to the printhead, which is probably due to it sitting and if the magenta cartridge was empty, then NO cleanings in those two weeks were done. The printer requires ink in ALL cartridges to perform a purge cleaning.

See the below:

Thank you very much for your comment, I never tried the second video you posted, but I did a manual cleaning by watching the first video. In the second video, I couldn't find the encoder strip cleaning place on bn-20. In the first video, he wipes the middle with a wet tissue, is it there?

mfa53

I'm still trying to fix it, when I spoke to a person he said that I would completely drain the black paint and put it back in. Cleaning cartridges are available, do you think cleaning cartridges can solve my problem?

mfa53

The only thing that differs from the one I received is to attach a slightly smaller foil, he was wearing a full size foil and I used a 350mm foil.

Was the nozzle test perfect when you purchased? Cause if it was on its way out when you bought, you got stuck with the lemon. A replacement head for this is expensiveeeee.

cornholio

I'm still trying to fix it, when I spoke to a person he said that I would completely drain the black paint and put it back in. Cleaning cartridges are available, do you think cleaning cartridges can solve my problem?
Roland calls this procedure a "head wash". You need 5 cleaning cartridges.
But, this won't help in your case.
I'm a certified Roland tech since they started building water based inkjet printers... I hate replacing heads on BN-20, but that's exactly the only option left, if you want a decent print quality.
If your problem was missing nozzles, cleaning might be a option. But with all the deflected nozzles in black, there is no chance this head can be fully recovered.

mfa53

Was the nozzle test perfect when you purchased? Cause if it was on its way out when you bought, you got stuck with the lemon. A replacement head for this is expensiveeeee.
Hello, black was not very good, but did not have such a problem. We have been tested many times with us and we have not seen any problems. I live in Turkey, when the prices are converted to Turkish Lira, as you said, they are equivalent to the amount I bought the machine.

mfa53

Roland calls this procedure a "head wash". You need 5 cleaning cartridges.
But, this won't help in your case.
I'm a certified Roland tech since they started building water based inkjet printers... I hate replacing heads on BN-20, but that's exactly the only option left, if you want a decent print quality.
If your problem was missing nozzles, cleaning might be a option. But with all the deflected nozzles in black, there is no chance this head can be fully recovered.
Hello, thank you very much for your valuable comment.

We continue to clean the machine manually and within the program.

We've visibly corrected the nozzles from our first test so far, but not every nozzle opened.

As a last resort we will buy and try 5 head cleaning cartridges.

There was a noticeable smudge reduction in print as the nozzles improved a bit.

As far as I think and see, some black nozzle tips are not fully open or closed. It does not give any pressure when it is fully closed.

I think this way, when printing on a place, the machine knows the ink that should flow from the tip and it flows accordingly, but if the nozzle tip is 30-40% open and it should give 100% on the paper at that moment, it cannot flow, and because the head moves, it reaches a place that it should not print. It's slowly leaking because the paint remains (gravity :()

I hope I explained it properly. In fact, if the nozzles are fully closed, maybe this will not cause this problem, but some nozzles are neither fully open nor fully closed.

Is there any chance that the 5 cleaning cartridges will damage the machine? Do you think he can clean the nozzles?

Thank you very much for your support and other supporters. Good luck to you.

SlikGRFX

Clean the head and captop properly. Then perform a head soak overnight with cleaning solution. Then perform a couple of medium cleans. You can set up a print with wide stripes of cmyk to get the nozzles firing.

If this doesn’t work, the head is done for.

If the print test was perfect when you bought it, the head must have been damaged in transit, or you left it switched off for too long and the ink dried up. A hard lesson to learn.

netsol

before i declare a head "done for" i add a syringe of acetone to 4 ounces of cleaning solution.
repeat that head soak. don't go any higher on yhe concentration of acetone.
of course, THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, but we have had very good results oncertain machines
be sure to do a print after the hed soak, as silkgrfx suggested, to move the acetone through the pump, into the waste bottle

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Probably not. The encoder strip is the clear piece of plastic that you see towards the inside back of the unit when you lift the door up. It runs the entire width of the printing area. This gets dirty from overspray after a while and needs to be cleaned. Do NOT use cleaning solution or get fingerprints on it.
Follow the second video as a dirty encoder strip will cause banding and fuzziness in your prints. When it's really dirty, nothing will print correctly, and it will look like a giant fuzzy blob. You will think you need glasses because of how blurry it becomes.