• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat wrap

niksagkram

Hi all. Quick question.... we have to wrap a boat, which we have never done before, are there any potential issues we should be aware of? Will our regular wrap vinyl, Avery MPI 1005 SC, work as well as it does on vehicles?
I know it's a fairly general question, I'm not even sure what kind of boat it is yet, but just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks.
Mark

reQ

Make sure you seal edges with cleartape. Other than that, not much of a difference.

ExceedAE

Just make sure you use the edge sealing tape. I know of a shop that didn't use it and half the wrap came off on the water.

niksagkram

This is what we are putting on the boat, both sides, 225" long. Printed one side this morning, just about to print side 2. Using Avery 1005

Mark
attachment.php

Attachments

• boat wrap passengers side.jpg
    boat wrap passengers side.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 155
We wrap a lot of boats, and having used all the vinyl from major brands, I would not suggest the 1005 ez rs on a boat. If I am not mistaken, they don't suggest using it either, but the 1005 ez. It's a little harder to put on, but sticks well. The problem we had in the past with the ex rs is that it never really adhered well to the gel coat. We use ij180cv3 on boats with no problems. Definetly edge seal though

niksagkram

We ARE using the 1005 SC Easy RS. Talked to a few people and they have had good luck with it. As you say, edge sealing is important and we will definitely do that. Will strips of laminate work, or does anybody suggest something else? We have used laminate strips on wraps before, but never done a boat.

Jillbeans

The other thing to consider is the curve of the boat.
What looks like a straight edge really isn't.
Your print might look curved, etc. if you make it straight, you may need to build an arch into it.